PDA

View Full Version : vindictive vertices

telecaustic
08-22-2007, 03:40 AM
I am new to skinning and have been practicing rigging and skinning models, in Max 6. However I have come across a weird problem.

1. (see pic#one) I have my weighting set high to keep the mesh rigid and all my vertices are reacting to the envelope fine.

2. (see pic#two) I did a test render (the renderer says "transforming vertices" which I hadn't seen before) and when it is done I get a this stray vertices action going on.

3. (see pic#three) Then I go back into my veiwport and bam now the vertices are all whacked out.

Does anyone have ideas? As I mention I am new to skinning I am sure I am overlooking something, just now sure what.

Chris Watson
Watson MediaWorks LLC.

dude5487
08-26-2007, 06:03 AM
I dont use max much im actually getting into this fall so this would be good to have knowledge of.

Anyway the only thing I can think of is it might be a render sending as thats when everything changes right? I mean if you do pose tests or animations nothing crazy happens right? It is just when you render?

telecaustic
08-27-2007, 05:53 PM
yes, that is correct, this only happens after a render is intitiated.

Before the render, all the vertices stay put, so like when you are watching the animation in the veiwport eveything is A Okay.

Thanks for the comment, I will start digging in the renderer to see if anything seems to work. If I find a fix or something I will post the results for others.

telecaustic
09-03-2007, 03:43 PM
bump.

Bueller...Anybody?

DeFi
09-06-2007, 12:37 PM
I encountered the same problem a while ago and in my case the turbo-smooth modifier on the top was causing this. Removing it and replacing it with a mesh-smooth knocked out the problem. Another cause might be the use of skin-wrap with an input object, that uses mesh-smoothing with different viewport/render settings. So only put mesh-smooth modifiers with different viewport/render settings at the top of the modifier stack and only if you don't use those objects to skin-warp other objects.

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2007, 12:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.