PDA

View Full Version : problem opening scenes

BanzaiGonzo
08-22-2007, 12:34 AM
I tried to sign up at XSI forums to get this question answered, but it is taking forever to get a password, so I figured since I have been coming to these forums for 5 years I would try here.

Just installed XSI foundation 6.02.

I start a new scene, create a torus, tweak it a little to get used to the controls and save it as a scene called torus. (with only two operations in the “stack”).

When I go to open the scene, it says “c:\......torus.scn can not be

Then it ends. I assume it finishes the line with “opened” but am not sure.

This happens with any scene in the XSI default directory.

If I move torus.scn to another directory it just says cant open file, but I can merge it from anywhere to the current opened (blank) scene.

When I save this (merged) scene and try to open it I get the same problem.

The supplied scenes, like dog.scn, try to open, but stops after 55% and I get the above mentioned error.

The brown bar at the bottom of the window stops at 55% - 65% before I get the error message.

My machine is brand new with XP SP2 installed. I searched the XSI site (while waiting for my password) but could find no answer to this issue.

Other issues related to Logitech software / hardware were discussed, so I disabled mine (but did not un-install) and still have the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated, since I read the thread with glowing testimonials here about the program, needing them because I didn’t have much time to use the trial version before it expired.

I just thought I would mention that the scenes do NOT crash when I save them, mentioning this since most scene problems I see here have to do with crashing on saving.

Thank you

dwigfor
08-22-2007, 02:30 AM
Sounds weird. Did you install into the default directory? Maybe try running runonce.bat in command prompt. That fixes a lot of dll problems, but I dunno if it will help you. Doesn't hurt to try.

BanzaiGonzo
08-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Thank you so much.
Installed in the default directory, but the runonce.bat thing did it. /bow
Who knew that in 2007 there would still be DOS commands to run :)

stblair
08-22-2007, 01:20 PM
If you go to softimage.com and type "cannot open scene" or "open scene" in the search box, the first hit is a page that suggests running runonce.bat:

http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/index.php/Cannot_open_scene_after_a_save

The search box uses Google to search the XSI list, the wiki, the XSI user docs, the XSI sdk docs, as well as softimage.com.

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2007, 01:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.