PDA

View Full Version : disk based dmaps

Nick2970
03-31-2003, 04:40 PM
Hi folks, just wondering, when using disk based shdaow maps, do you have to give the map a unique name, in the naming field, does Maya do this automaticaly if you don't, does anyone have any advice in general for using disk based shadow maps (cached once, only thing in the scene that is moving is the camera)

Cheers, Nick

lowkey
03-31-2003, 05:12 PM
does anyone have any advice in general for using disk based shadow maps

err, read the manuals? :shrug:

anyway, here's a hint:
Reusing depth maps

Nick2970
04-01-2003, 02:30 AM
Thanks for that insight, I would never have thought of that one!!, I hope that great post didn't take too much of your time.

much appreciated, Nick

(set sarcasm detector to on)

lowkey
04-01-2003, 05:27 AM
hmmmm, i was just wondering why people don't look there first, because the case you were lookin' for - 'cached once, only thing in the scene that is moving is the camera' - has been exactly described in that chapter! :shrug:

anyway, no need to get sarcastic! :rolleyes:

Nick2970
04-01-2003, 06:02 AM
Sorry about that, I didn't mean offense, I am just coming into my third consecutive month of 17 hour days and I am a little testy,
I am more interested in the fact that you have the option to name your depth maps, and I was curious if you didn't would they write over each other?

So many questions, but I always check the manual first. ;)

Cheers, Nick

rollmops
04-03-2003, 11:45 AM
maya normaly write dmaps like this:
depthmap_spotLightShape9.SM.iff
in the name you can recognize the name of the light.
TIP: use fcheck and press z to see the depht value in greyscale.

but sometimes it keeps generating them even if you turn the use diskmap off.
"this is quite a signficant bug
(Bug # 178558)-for whatever reason, this flag is being ignored and the dmaps
are being recreated regardless of what is selected." like the hotline says

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.