PDA

View Full Version : uvmapped strands

Imorgon
08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Greetings!

Actually I am a bit stuck within a couple of tech-issues. I tried my best to find anwers in the archives or tutorials, but (yet) I could not find any. So I hope you folks can help me out before I spend even more days with fiddeling around without getting anything real done.
At least it would be very helpfull to know if my setup ist just screwed up/faulty or if I am trying the impossible ;)

Its one topic, but I splitted it into two questions:

1) Is it -at all- possible to apply UV-texturemaps to strandparticles in such a way that (in example) you can paint a furpattern on a UV-Texture and the strands/particles will inherit that color?
Like a tiger or a leopard pattern? IF I apply a UV texture to the strands yet, it gets UVmapped directly on the strands -themselves-. An interesting... but not desired effect.

2) ist it -at all- possible to apply a UV-texture to the particleemmiter to "comb" the strands. Actually I can apply any kind of texture (like a procedural, etc) to it, but If a UV is applied blender handles it as if it would be mapped in "Orco"-mode and not UV. Or does anyone know how to apply a weightmap to that control? That would be much more practical anway =P

Any hint is appreciated =)

Kind regards,
Imorgon

ibkanat
08-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I recommend use Jahka new particle build (http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=452) for combing and cutting. It is very flexible. It has allot of features (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Particles_Rewrite) but takes a little while to learn but much easier. I haven't been using the old particle system for a while but I believe in that one too it is possible to use the text to adjust the velocity or density of the particles. And I believe that color is can be adjusted with the texture of the emitter. Just did a test with 1000000 hairs(6600000 vertices) wow not bad for my little laptop with under 1gig memory. Have fun

Imorgon
08-21-2007, 09:31 PM
One of the reasons to change my 3D-app to blender was that I finally can work without using this (especially since Vista) unbearable windows... so a windows-only build is kinda tricky for me ;)
Anyway, my project is a long-term-shot and I can not afford to work with unofficial builds.
Any idea if and when these changes find their way into the official blender-release?

Kind regards,
Imorgon

fktt
08-21-2007, 10:54 PM
most likely once the new open-movie project gets going :)

LetterRip
08-22-2007, 01:20 AM
They are scheduled for the 'next major release' (Ie 2.50/3.0 - not 2.45). A requirement for 2.50 is the event system refactor which hasn't started yet. We are evaluating the timeline for the event system refactor currently.

LetterRip

harkyman
08-22-2007, 12:34 PM
LetterRip -- I thought that we were doing a 2.46 release rolling in the summer of code projects and the particle/unified baking work (and Genscher's cloth if it's ready), so no one has to wait for the mythical 2.5 to get the goodies.

LetterRip
08-22-2007, 04:57 PM
That had been suggested but there didn't seem to be any support for that at the meeting. I suspect it will depend on 1) how long the SoC projects take to stabalize/complete 2) what lukep reports on the time/feasibility to do the event system refactor.

LetterRip

Imorgon
08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Oh well...

So I can stop trying the impossible... I should learn to ask questions a -bit- earlier instead of wasting days of work :shrug:

In that case I really need to stick to my plan to use and (later) replace alphamodels as soon as the desired build is out. Live and learn...

Thanks for your kind replies!

Imorgon

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2007, 05:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.