PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story 1 & 2 are going "back into the vault" on May 1st

johnny_riptide
03-31-2003, 01:31 PM
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 31, 2003--Time is running out! On May 1st, two animated favorites, TOY STORY & TOY STORY 2, both a Walt Disney Pictures presentation of a Pixar Animation Studios film, are going back in the vault and will no longer be sold to retailers. This is the last chance to own Woody, Buzz, and all the fabulous characters from these animated treasures, from Walt Disney Home Entertainment and Pixar Animation Studios (Nasdaq:PIXR - News). This is a firm moratorium date.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030331/315268_1.html

What a bummer!!!

I wonder if this is Disney trying to play hardball with Pixar in the midst of their re-negotiation. This has got to cut into Pixar's future revenue.

Array
03-31-2003, 01:38 PM
that seems like an asshat thing to do.....any business gurus out there that can explain how this would benefit anyone?

ceql
03-31-2003, 01:41 PM
Hey, and how come Disney always stops selling their major releases, only to re-release it later on? :shrug:

t-toe
03-31-2003, 01:53 PM
well, I know WHY Disney does it... I just don't know how effective it actually is... first they warn people that the titles are going "back into the vault", but they usually only decide to do that once the title's sales have started waining. they're hoping that doing so will create a bit more interest in the titles, trying to get them off the shelves of stores, so they have to recall as few as possible. then they lock 'em up for 5, 10, or 20 years (depending on the demand), and then re-release them with new packaging trying to sucker people who already own the title into buying it again, and letting parents buy the movie for their kids who may not have had a chance to see it yet.

that's their scheme. but it annoys the HELL out of me.

--t.toe

BrandonD
03-31-2003, 05:01 PM
The main difference I see between Disney and Pixar, at the core, is a desire to make money vs the love of the craft of animation. Don't get me wrong, Pixar can't function without being profitable, but their core people seem to really be doing it because they love what they do. Disney started out that way, but like most big companies over many decades became a corrupted moneymaking tool for shareholders. That's just my opinion though.

googlo
03-31-2003, 05:09 PM
that seems like an asshat thing to do.....any business gurus out there that can explain how this would benefit anyone?

I can, and I'm not a business guru :).

If people think they are going to disappear for an indeterminate amount of time, they will be more likely to buy them before the date they are taken off the shelves.

Who cares though. Disney feels like a big cumbersome corporation now that is disconnected from what made it great in my opinion.

I hate how things seem to happen like that. It's wierd. It's like the bigger and more succesful a company gets, at some point some kind of threshhold is crossed where it starts to lose identity with which it came from.

Not just media companies but everything, like book publishers, music production studios, etc..

:(

Tex3D
03-31-2003, 05:22 PM
Sad indeed. They did it with Star Wars and THANK Goodness I bought the 3 VHS set of the original movies. All I ever see now are the Special Edition tapes. :eek:

Tis the way of the world my friends ..:annoyed:

-Dave

NanoGator
03-31-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by johnny_riptide
I wonder if this is Disney trying to play hardball with Pixar in the midst of their re-negotiation. This has got to cut into Pixar's future revenue.

What's the difference between this and what Disneys' done in the past with their other movies?

xynaria
04-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by NanoGator
What's the difference between this and what Disneys' done in the past with their other movies?

None..only that if I was trying to do a new deal with a company that had brought the money in big time for me whilst my own stuff floundered I'd like to hope I'd ask someone to take the gun I had pointing at my foot away from me and tell me to get my house in order. :)

NanoGator
04-01-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by xynaria
None..only that if I was trying to do a new deal with a company that had brought the money in big time for me whilst my own stuff floundered I'd like to hope I'd ask someone to take the gun I had pointing at my foot away from me and tell me to get my house in order. :)

It's not clear that theyr'e shooting anybody in the foot here. I mean, if they say "buy it or lose it", then that'll kick ppl in the rear to clear out their remaining inventory. Then, after a few years of being locked away, they can reopen it with all new fanfare. Pixar will likely see a surge in sales as a result.

If anything, an artificial shortage will help Pixar, similarly to how it helps diamond retailers.

xynaria
04-01-2003, 01:54 AM
Possibly.. but from the other stuff I've read it seems that Disney are behaving in a fashion far more becoming of a plank. If Pixar are ok with the ToyStory withdrawal then fine.. myself doing this is really irritating but so be it.. however if Pixar are not ok with it then I think a new deal is going to be very hard to come by and it's arguable that at the moment Disney need Pixar far more than Pixar need Disney. :)

BigErn
04-01-2003, 05:07 PM
your right xynaria, Disney does need Pixar and is going about the right way to loose them, if they haven`t already. Disney is in trouble if they can`t get their stuff back on track soon, what with japanese feature animation being so good.

I think the Disney image is tainted by the older generations.. maybe the kids still like them but most people see they aren`t doing anything new or exciting.

TapioKa
04-01-2003, 07:12 PM
I used to work at a videostore long ago in a galaxy far far away...

As far back as the 80's Disney has always done this with VHS sales too. The reason is purely business/marketing related. They figured out that by holding back on their animated feature release for several years generates interest in buying them when the next generation of babies/parents comes out. When they do a rerelease it generates alot of press and talk, and the new parents buy the title. I remember that Disney didn't want to release Snow White for a long time. Disney's main market is still kids and parents.

Dragon
04-02-2003, 02:28 AM
not to sound like a company kiss-butt or anything... but... this is and has always been standard practice for disney products. I doubt very much that it is an attack against pixar. The idea from a marketing standpoint is actually quite smart. Disney is the only company to be able to re-release their product over and over agian and still pull in a profit even 50 years later... look at snow white. How many other movies you know from that time that can still generate sales. However irritating it might be to you, you have to admit it's pretty smart marketing on their part.

xynaria
04-02-2003, 03:21 AM
My take on this is that it is a very Disney thing...which may not be a 'Pixar thing'. Given that, in theory, Disney were in theory prepared to go ahead and make Toy Story 3 without Pixars involvment and various other shennanigans that have gone on in it's recent history.. then it's pretty reasonable to question whether they are not being a bit daft. :)

digital_rhino
04-02-2003, 05:45 AM
In my opinion...Disney sux. DOn't get me wrong, I watch and buy most there movies, but they really have forgotten why the company is created in the first place. That wonderful man Walt is probably rolling over in his grave because of what disney has become. I have even heard that 6 year olds are now considered adult admission at the parks. 6 year olds! Don't know if its true, but if it is I want to puke.

thesaint
04-04-2003, 04:21 AM
Let me assure you all that we do not feel aggrieved by the withdrawl of TS2. It is not an act of unkindness against us by Disney.

But i know we all appreciate the support the animation industry has given us. Especially the 'individual' animators like yourselves.

I don't know much about the politics going on here behind the scenes, but i am fairly sure that our relationship with Disney is not quite so bad as might be percieved by some. Jobs and Eisner did have a thing (as far as i understand) when he felt we had been 'tricked' into making TS2, but the truth is that Jobs is a clever man, and a business man first and last, so i suspect he will make the best deal for Pixar when the chips are down.

We are getting more and more prolific, and better with each scene and production we create, and i believe we have a bright future, whether with Fox or a new agreement with Disney or whomever might join us to distribute and share the burden of funding a feature.

Thanks again for all your support. It really is appreciated.

mikewebb
04-05-2003, 05:52 AM
I have one word - ebay

There are so many copies of Toy Story I and II DVDs out there that they will be reselling them for years and years.

No problem.

Now to get a HDTV version would be something.

Mike

NanoGator
04-05-2003, 09:00 AM
Out of curiosity, what kind of stuff does Pixar look for in a prospective employee who does 3d modelling/animation?

thesaint
04-07-2003, 06:11 PM
so here are some helpful hints on this link. Look into the faq as well as the specific requirements for the jobs.

http://www.pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/openings.html

In an effort to not throw this thread ot you can PM me and i'll give you all that info.

NanoGator
04-07-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks! :beer:

SEPHROTH64
04-09-2003, 08:48 PM
=(

thank god for SVCD

NanoGator
04-09-2003, 09:00 PM
When it comes back, any chance either of the two movies will come with commentary or special features?

Monsters Inc had some really cool extras, but I was plenty disappointed that TS 1&2 didn't come with any other than a few Pixar shorts. I'd love to know more about what Pixar's workflow is like. The prop database was cool, heh.

bkw
04-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Have you checked out the Ultimate Toy Box set? It has TS1&2, and also another disc that has quite a bit of other stuff on it.

Taken from the Disney site:
Introductions by the filmmakers
The history of "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2"
Character design
Location design
Story development
Moviemaking secrets
Music & sound design
Abandoned concepts
Deleted animation
Early tests
Original treatments
Storyboard pitch
Storyboard-to-film comparisons
Animation production progression memos
Trailers
TV commercials
Posters
Guide to hidden jokes
Music videos
Original song demos
3-D fly-around virtual tours of sets from the film

thesaint
04-09-2003, 09:43 PM
what the ....

That's more information and behind the scenes than i get to see!

:p

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.