PDA

View Full Version : Hot Swapping Spoof - The Settings?

singularity2006
03-31-2003, 06:43 AM
Ah, so here is the situation:

PM: Hard Disk
PS: DVD ROM
SM: Hot Swap Drive
SS: Zip100

Upon removing the drive from the hot swap, the Secondary slave is no longer detected on bootup. Putting a drive in there allows both to detect.

Any ideas of how I can setup my IDE's so that I can get all my devices, save the hot swap, to detect regardless if I have a drive in the hot swap or not? @ the moment, I just set the Zip100 and the hot swap as both secondary master ... though I know this will cause problems when I actually have a drive in the hot swap slot. :annoyed: It's weird, cuz i got it to work with the hot swap as primary master with my main HD @ one point ... and it worked well, for quite some time ... not it just doesn't. -.-"

GregHess
03-31-2003, 12:20 PM
Are you using a controller that supports hotswappability?

Is the external bay a hotswappable bay?

Both of these instances must be true for the hotswap bay to function properly.

singularity2006
03-31-2003, 06:47 PM
Are you using a controller that supports hotswappability?

Is the external bay a hotswappable bay?

Both of these instances must be true for the hotswap bay to function properly.

I'm not necessarily using the "hot swap" function per say. I'm using the mobile dock as a way I can copy files from hard drive to hard drive without having to open up my system each time.

The controller itself is not necessarily something that supports hot swappability. I'm just using my regular IDE channel for it. The external bay is a hot swappable bay though.

I've just been inserting the drive before I power on the system and then powering the thing up. But yeah, if the dock is the secondary master and my zip is the secondary slave, if I don't have a drive present, the zip will not detect. It only detects with a drive present in the secondary master position....

GregHess
03-31-2003, 08:12 PM
Ah ok, I see what your doing. Is the zip set to cable select? Alot of them are by default. If you move the jumper to the slave setting, it should detect without the drive present.

singularity2006
03-31-2003, 08:43 PM
yah, that's the thing. I tried setting the jumper for the zip to be slave and i also used the other default slave setting for the jumper but neither one worked. Now I just have my zip AND the hot swap set as master. I have yet to try cable select though ... that might do it. But anyhow, it's weird because originally, I had the hot swap as the primary master on the same ide as my primary master HD .... so they were both master.... it actually worked. =D But yeah, some HD's wouldn't detect or locked up the system...that's when i pulled the hot swap to another IDE channel with the zip as slave ... my main issue is that my uncle gave me the hot swap and never gave me the correct jumper settings ... it would set defaulted @ master.... I think I'm just going to Fry's today to get a new mobile dock because this one is pretty old... it still uses a 40 conductor ribbon inside the thing so it doesn't support fast transfers .... slow... slow indeed... *sigh*

DaForce
04-01-2003, 05:36 AM
have you tried setting the zip100 to be the SM and the Hot Swap Drive to be SS ?

singularity2006
04-01-2003, 05:40 PM
To make a long story short, I have never worked so long and hard to install one single device.... I've never been scratched so often and so stressed.

For the long story ...

Anyhow, I was unable to set the zip to master because the hot swap drive itself is set to master and I'm not too inclined to bug my uncle about the jumper setting for slave. Anyhow, I gave up and got another hot swap that is cable select only but this lead to issues because the initial position didn't work cuz the tray is slightly taller than the drive bay causing it get stuck behind the front bezel of my dell. Then I tried moving it down but then my IDE cables did not reach to get stuff in the right position (I was trying to avoid connecting my main HD with the zip because the IDE and ATAPI transfer would make the IDE slower) but eventually, after 8 hours of messing with the drive and redrilling the drive bay holes for the hot swap, I was able to get it just right with the the hot swap on my primary IDE with the DVD w/ the Zip so speed is no longer an issue because ATA is w/ ATA and ATAPI is with DVD.... all's well in the world. :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.