PDA

View Full Version : coming from Lightwave...UVs?

illusory
08-19-2007, 03:12 AM
What's the trick to getting images to map on imported Lightwave objects? I'm using the built-in PointOven importer in Essentials 6.02. It brings everything in fine and the UVs look fine in the Texture editor, but I can't get an image to display on the object.

I've tried several objects now, and read everything i can find on the subject. I've only been learning XSI for about a week so far (non-stop!) and loving it, but I have to figure this out so I can bring my projects over.

Please, anyone who has imported Lightwave .lwo with UVs, please help. I have even baked a nice rendermap, which came out looking perfect, but it won't show up on the object either. If XSI knows how to write a texture based on these UVs, you'd think it would be able to map the texture to the object.

I'm going crazy here...
please help!
NJ

mocaw
08-19-2007, 05:26 AM
Will it not show up in the view port OR when rendered? Is it part of a texture cluster? Do those polygons have multiple UVs? Mind supplying a small example for me to look at?

What about when you import the model as an obj? Same thing?

dwigfor
08-19-2007, 06:50 AM
What's the render tree look like? Select the poly cluster that should have the texture applied to it, and hit 7 to bring up RT. Does it have your texture file wired in? Is it pointing to the UV map? Select the Image node and look at the pulldown box on the menu. If it doesn't show anything, click it and it should give you the option to pick your uv texture projection.

yog
08-19-2007, 03:30 PM
If you have materials already assigned in Lightwave and import via Pointoven, then each of the previously assigned materials will come in as clusters to the polymesh, and each individual cluster will have it's own individual material. Each of these individual cluster based materials will also override any new material that you apply to the polymesh as a whole.

A lot of people prefer to work with one material per object, as it makes working with render passes easier. In this case you would use your scene explorer to navigate the imported polymesh and delete the material clusters that were created on import.
Or if you prefer to keep your material assignments you set in Lightwave, then you will have to use the materials already created under each cluster.

Hope this helps :)

illusory
08-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Ok, I finally found those materials way...down under the clusters, laaate last night. Funny though, because other materials were put under each object (which came in from Lightwave layers) at a higher hierarchy level, which won't affect the surface.

Tried deleting the cluster materials as you suggested, Jog, and that replaced those materials with the default scene material. After that, though, i was able to drop new materials onto the objects from material manager, and they went to those cluster materials and showed up. (before, they had just gone to the higher-level materials and didn't show up.)

OK, whatever works!

thanks,
NJ

CGTalk Moderation
08-20-2007, 12:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.