PDA

View Full Version : How to change the way bones are displayed?

Zeusbwr
08-19-2007, 01:34 AM
Is there any way to change how bones are displayed? I would like to change size, color, and if possible, even the type of null that it looks like. For example, in XSI you can change the bone to a box, square, diamond, etc.

I've got a foot rig that i keep adding features to, and at the moment, its pretty hard figuring which bone is what, so im reverting to the Outliner. It would be of big help if i could do it visually. Thoughts?

(Note: I see the Joint has an attribute option for the Draw Style, between Bone and Box, but changing it seems to do nothing, so i assume im either doing it wrong or its not what i think it is)

thematt
08-19-2007, 01:29 PM
if you know a bit of mel, you know that you can create a new shape for your any of your object with the "parent -s" command (check the mel doc for it);
You could then create any shape you want for any bone you want and have it display with any color of your choice for exemple.
that way it should be easier to seelct in the viewport.

cheers

refract
08-20-2007, 05:03 AM
hmm.. I was thinking of making a .mel script to do exactly that. 3dsMax bones are so easily selected in the viewport without highlighting all its children (which is horrible in Maya btw.. and don't tell me to go to the graph view or outliner on this please)Speaking of which are there already and mel scripts that will convert the bones to be like this?
thx

Remi
08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Control curves are good for selecting and you can always parent the shape to the bone so when you select the curve you're selecting the bone. Snap position the control to the bone, and freeze tranforms. Parent the control curve to the bone, select the curve shape by selecting the curve and then pickwalking down, and then shift select the bone and run:

parent -r -shape;

Another option that i've seen and liked is the zooTriggered method. Using transparent objects to select joints/curves, etc. Look it up in Google and it should take you to Hamish' site. Lots of good scripts there.

Zeusbwr
08-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Control curves are good for selecting and you can always parent the shape to the bone so when you select the curve you're selecting the bone. Snap position the control to the bone, and freeze tranforms. Parent the control curve to the bone, select the curve shape by selecting the curve and then pickwalking down, and then shift select the bone and run:

parent -r -shape;

Another option that i've seen and liked is the zooTriggered method. Using transparent objects to select joints/curves, etc. Look it up in Google and it should take you to Hamish' site. Lots of good scripts there.

Well, i may not be understanding you correctly so i apologize ahead of time if thats the case. But what im reading is easier ways to pick the bones, for animating correct?

This is strictly a problem of rigging. I have an easier time rigging if i can see the hierarchies all existing. If i start hiding most of the foot rig just so i can select an object, it gets to be annoying. I realize i can use the graph, or outliner, but i just like to visually see these things.

I will definitely take what you said into account for my rig controls though! Part of what you described sounds a lot like what Keith Lango uses. He puts in proxy mesh controls under the models skin, so he can just select the arm, and get an fk control, or select the hand, and get the hand control, all of which are invisible. So its more like your directly animating the model.

Remi
08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm sorry I misunderstood you. What I suggested was for animation purposes. As for rigging I guess i've never had too many issues with the way things are displayed. I always have an outliner/hypergraph open when rigging as well, which you said you didn't much care for but I guess I can't think of a better way to have everything at your fingertips than that. Sorry.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.