PDA

View Full Version : ShaDow BizzaRO

mixtus
03-31-2003, 03:39 AM
can anyone explain to me why i get this strange banding and artifacts in shadows on clean surfaces. These are just simple poly shapes with one light and dmap shadows. What could be the root of this issue. Thanks in advance.

Rudity
03-31-2003, 04:38 AM
The problem is the Dmap shadows.

Pump up the res a bit more and increase the dmap filtering might fix this.
Also you could check off "use dmap auto fucus" and find a value that focus's the shadow over the object better.
Tweak the dmap values untill your banding is gone. :thumbsup:

Later
Rudity

Houkah
03-31-2003, 04:53 PM
What Rudity said. Generally u can get rid of this banding playing w/ the depth map bias. If that doesn't work increase the res and keep fidling w/ the depth map bias. It's annoying tho.

mixtus
03-31-2003, 06:11 PM
thanks - this is great info.
It always seems to happen when i have objects
intersecting each other. I will play with the
setting and see if i can get it to go away.

:applause:

jeremybirn
04-01-2003, 05:47 AM
Two more things:

1. Use a spot light to cast the shadows, and carefully aim the light so that the cone and penumbra only cover the area that really needs to be lit.

2. If the scene is built on a really large scale, you often need to increase the dmap bias to get rid of shadow artifacts, unless you are using mid distance dmaps that only work well with closed solids.

-jeremy

mixtus
04-01-2003, 06:08 AM
wow - coolness // jeremy your book Digital Lighting & Rendering is my favorite 3d book i own. I teach 3d design and animation at a school called laguna college of art and design. I bring your book to my classes all the time and tell students that it is one worth spend money on. How cool to have you respond to my post. I am a long time 3d max user just switching to maya. Can i email you personaly - i have a couple questions for you.

thanks,

dan

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.