PDA

View Full Version : Graphire or Intuos - Need your help!

BUZZFX
08-18-2007, 05:45 PM
I am looking to buy a tablet for my computer and I would like some advice from some of you who own one.

I am looking at 2 different tablets.

1. The Graphire #4 (4"x5")
Levels of Pressure sensitivity: 512
Pen Tilt Support: No

2. The Wacom Intuos #3 (4"x6")
Levels of Pressure sensitivity: 1024
Pen Tilt Support: Yes

Pressure Sensitivity
Q. - Does ZBrush or Painter/Photoshop need 1024 Levels of Pressure sensitivity or will 512 levels be sufficient? and will the difference be noticeable?
Someone siad with less levels of pressure sensitivity I will have to change my brushes more often.

Pen Tilt Support
Q. - Will not having pen tilt support greatly affect my painting or sculpting?

So I know that the Intuos Tablet is better, but it is also approx. 4X times the price of the graphire. Is spending the extra $$$$ on the Intuos worth it or will the Graphire perform well enough?

Please tell me what your experiences have been and if you have bought either a Graphire or Intuos tablet and what you think of it?

leigh
08-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Personally I think the last two generations of Graphires are not very nice at all. I owned one of the first generation ones, and it was a comfy tablet to use. I've also used the Graphire 2's, which were fine too. But the Graphire 3 (I made the mistake of buying one of these) and 4 are just naff. The hard plastic shell on them is really unpleasant to work on, and the quality of the pen build seems to have gotten worse. After using the Graphire 3 a few times, I unplugged it and threw it in the corner to gather dust.

The Intuos, on the other hand, is a great tablet. I use one at work, and now at home too. Regarding the pressure levels and tilt functions - frankly I think the horrible feel of the Graphire is reason enough to avoid it. The features of the Intuos are nice, but the main reason I'd recommend buying one is because it simply feels better.

CConcepts
08-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Pressure Sensitivity
Q. - Does ZBrush or Painter/Photoshop need 1024 Levels of Pressure sensitivity or will 512 levels be sufficient? and will the difference be noticeable?
Someone siad with less levels of pressure sensitivity I will have to change my brushes more often.
>> I'm not sure what the sensitivity has to do with the frequence of brush changing, but having more levels means that you have a finer graduation of what you assign to the pressure control. So it you'll have abroader range of sensitivity which can never be false.

Pen Tilt Support
Q. - Will not having pen tilt support greatly affect my painting or sculpting?
>> Yes. For me it's a cool feature to havea digital pen how behaves just like an analogue. So tilting your pen changes the shape of it to a certain amount.

So I know that the Intuos Tablet is better, but it is also approx. 4X times the price of the graphire. Is spending the extra $$$$ on the Intuos worth it or will the Graphire perform well enough?

Please tell me what your experiences have been and if you have bought either a Graphire or Intuos tablet and what you think of it?

>> I bought a Intuos 3 and I'm happy with it from start till now. I have the A5 (must be 6x8) and this is enough for the things I do. It replaced my mouse totally and even with a dual 17" TFT setup it feels very comfortable. You can also configure it that the pen only works on one display and the mouse on both if you need a finer control over the pen.

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2007, 07:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.