PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q: Does Maya have anything similar to GATOR (for weights)?

Zeusbwr
08-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Welp, im diving into Maya head first since im using that in AM, and so far the only thing i miss from XSI is GATOR, however, i haven't gotten deep into weighting yet anyway. Does Maya have anything similar to GATOR for Weights atleast?

My key thing is, i am often making little edits to my meshes, more geometry here, less here, etc. And i would hate to have to re-weight my character each time. Thoughts?

Thanks to any replies!

refract
08-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Gator it seems to copy weights, uv mapping and all which is very nice. (not much for all that at once for Max or Maya, but for maya 8.5 use the "copy weights".)
... Just looking at this... http://www.edharriss.com/xsi/version5.htm I gotta say,.. XSI is really delivering here.

thematt
08-18-2007, 03:52 PM
maya heas the tranfert atribute to transfer uvmaping; copySkin weight to copy skin from one object to the other.They don't need to be the same object.But if the joint are different it will not work properly.
in maya 8.5 and 2008 you have new option to copy too, "label" for exemple, but I haven't test it so i can't say.

cheers

nottoshabi
08-18-2007, 08:54 PM
It depends what version of Maya your using. 8 and higher has an ability to freze the weights so you can make changes to your mesh then unfreze to update. There are also tools on the net on highend of doing that exactlly they are not called Gator but maybe something else you have to search for it. Try searching iwith the key word Weights on Highend you should be able to find something.

Zeusbwr
08-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Cool, i'll look into them thank you!

*edit*
I apologize for not replying sooner, CGTalk never emailed me, oddly enough.

Thanks again :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2007, 12:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.