PDA

View Full Version : Logo for Black metal band

cord
03-30-2003, 07:24 PM
This is a logo that I am making for a black metal band named Sinarian.
I have a feeling that theres something missing, although I can not set my finger on what.
Suggestions and critics are very welcome and needed.

http://home.online.no/~jasive/logo/logo2.jpg

With a red light in the background

http://home.online.no/~jasive/logo/logo3.jpg

dmcgrath
03-30-2003, 08:40 PM
I apologize ahead of time for this being so long, but I feel that there is useful information here. And since no one else has replied, I thought you could use a bit of constructive criticism.

You have five different things going on here and you should cut it down to about two at the most. Think of other band names, the really good trademarked names, Metallica, Megadeath, Slipknot, Korn. There is something very reconizable about them.
(1st)They all have a unique look to the font being used to spell the band name.
(2nd)They have one or maybe two elements that actually do it for the band's logo.

All your elements combined are, first and foremost, going to be very hard to reproduce just for a logo. When you design a logo for a band, keep it much simpler, don't think about how it is going to look on a CD, think about how it will look if you reproduce it a thousand times in black and white flyers. Its just the same way with cars logos, someone will say "Sure it looks good on paper. But how is it going to look as a big shiny chrome emblem on the hood of a car?"
Now back to the task at hand. Don't use lens flares, they don't look good really for any reason. If you want the same kind of dramatic background effect, use a gradient. Then you won't have all the extra little light puffs everywhere. Plus the light source is now behind the logo, making it more 3 dimensional, but it isn't hidden in shadow. Which is what would happen with a light source that bright coming from behind.
The grass just distracts from the letters, it's not necessary.
Now you also have a sword in the stone thing going on here, and that has been done to death (no pun intended).
The letters are okay (I don't know what Sinarian means but that doesn't matter), but it looks to me like you just typed them up and then add a couple of layer effects. (I think; drop shadow, bevel and emboss with texture, and possibly an outer glow).
Try to make a few sketches of just shapes in black and white and see how they play out compostionally, before adding colors. That's how all the good logos start out. Then you can apply almost any color to them and they will read the same.

I hope this helped.
:beer:

M.Rogne
03-30-2003, 09:06 PM
I agree with DMC, it is a bit too photoshopeffect-ish... Perhaps I should save his advice for when I someday decide to make a logo for my own metal band... -.-'
Anyway... For Sinarian, which I guess has something to do with sin, I'd most likely choose a snake, the image of sin. Let the snake "form" the S (Have nobody noticed how akin a snake is to an S ?) when make the rest of the letters more plain.
You could also make an S with a snake wrapping around it...
Well, you could also cut the snake idea and go for something entirely different... Me and my stupid snakes, huh ? -.-

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.