PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Lighting and Rendering in Maya

quickdrawdan
08-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Hello all,

I wanted to see what if there were any tutorials or tips out there for someone who is using Maya 6.5 Complete and wants to get realistic lighting and rendering.

I always see tutorials for Max or Cinema 4d to make realistic lighting and rendering and I wanted to see if there are any tutorials or tips for Maya users.

Is it possible to get the same quality of realistic lighting/rendering for Maya users as Max and Cinema 4d users have?

Thanks,

Dan

CIM
08-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Is it possible to get the same quality of realistic lighting/rendering for Maya users as Max and Cinema 4d users have?

Yes, learn mr.

mindsample
08-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Hello all,

I wanted to see what if there were any tutorials or tips out there for someone who is using Maya 6.5 Complete and wants to get realistic lighting and rendering.

I always see tutorials for Max or Cinema 4d to make realistic lighting and rendering and I wanted to see if there are any tutorials or tips for Maya users.

Thanks,

Dan

Realistic Lighting is not a matter of pressing specific buttons in the right order and it has very little to do with the application and renderer you use. You need to understand the concepts behind it first, and if you have ever applied them in any package you will be able to transfer them between packages.
If you only see tutorials for Max about realistic lighting as opposed to Maya (hard to believe to be honest) then learn the theory behind those tutorials and apply them in Maya. You might learn something by accident!

quickdrawdan
08-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Do ya'll know of any tutorials on mental ray and realisitic lighting?

Thanks,

Dan

mindsample
08-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Did you read my reply?

TAVO
08-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Try this site:

http://www.mymentalray.com/

And yes, you have to learn some lighting concepts to make "realistic light". There is a dvd by Alias or now Autodesk that is dedicated to lighting in Maya, besides the explain in Maya for lights and rendering, they talk about lighting concepts too, maybe look for it, it is a good one.

tfritzsche
08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
Get Jeremy Birn's book : Digital Lighting and Renering.
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Lighting-Rendering-2nd-digital/dp/0321316312/ref=sr_1_4/104-0481028-8916755?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187360504&sr=1-4

thomas

iwto2000
08-17-2007, 03:48 PM
What is really needed is a book or DVD or course that teaches one how to examine what is seen in real life and and teaches what the most important contributing factors to "realism" are. Sadly, I have not found any of these myself, but through much learning on my own I have picked up some things. For one, never underestimate the power of shadows. I used to be dismayed because I didn't get realistic renders...but I wasn't includuding shadows...I was waiting until "later" to add them because I didn't know how important they were.

yann22
08-17-2007, 04:07 PM
There are some good tutorials by A. Alvarez and J. Engleman over at:

www.gnomonology.com

For learning Mental Ray GI the project based learning DVDs called "Mental Ray Interior/Exterior Rendering" at:

www.digitaltutors.com

are pretty good.

TAVO
08-17-2007, 05:45 PM
What is really needed is a book or DVD or course that teaches one how to examine what is seen in real life and and teaches what the most important contributing factors to "realism" are. Sadly, I have not found any of these myself, but through much learning on my own I have picked up some things. For one, never underestimate the power of shadows. I used to be dismayed because I didn't get realistic renders...but I wasn't includuding shadows...I was waiting until "later" to add them because I didn't know how important they were.

try this link, the INFO is awesome man, really help me to understand light a lot better.

http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2007, 05:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.