PDA

View Full Version : 8X AGP or More Memory

ssimak
03-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Hello,

I have the option of purchasing a new video card (the Quadro actually). Money is a consideration.

Would it be better to go with a card that is 8X AGP/64 MB memory OR a 4X AGP/128 MB memory? The workstation supports 8X AGP. I primarily use 3D apps (Maya).

Thanks

Steve

GregHess
03-30-2003, 08:48 PM
How bout listing the cards first?

If your stuck between a 750XL and a 900XL, go for the 900XL.

UrbanFuturistic
03-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Depends:

If you're working with manipulating heavy geometry (especially hi-rez NURBS or SubSurfs/MetaNurbs/whatever) then a faster connection to your memory would be better (though this is, of course, limited by the speed of your memory and front side buses).

However, if you work a lot with large image file based textures then on-card memory would be better as the extra speed is not needed while you're not adjusting textures but the on-card memory will make it a lot faster for the redisplaying of textures... of course this also depends on how large your textures are and whether Maya utilises any texture compression available. Of course, if you do a lot of 3D texture painting then this won't be as effective while manipulating the textures but will still hold otherwise.

regards, Paul

X3M
04-01-2003, 02:15 PM
I would wait and get the new video card after Maya 5 is going to be released. It will have an option for hardware rendering so it might be very picky when it comes to video cards. Also there is still so many standards that are not final, that if you want to keep up with it you will be buying a new video card every 6 months, if you know what I meen. I want to buy a new pro video card too, the money lies on my desk, but I will wait till the new Maya is released and do my purchase based on their recomendation. This is my 5 cents.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.