PDA

View Full Version : Walkcycle question

DenDagge
08-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the whole animation scene, although I've done a lot of reading and research I only just begun to get hands on with 3d animation.

I'm using the free MaxMan rig and I've managed to cook up a simple walkcycle.
At this stage my model is tredding a nice stroll but he's not actually moving through the scene. That he's walking in place is not that much of a problem, it was only a first attempt but I have a problem when I want to physically move him from point A to B in my 3D scene.

The feet seem to slide on the ground plane. I know this is because I tweened the root of my model from A to B. So should I walk my model by dragging him by his hip control and thus leaving the root control always in the same spot ?? But why make a root control node then ?

And what if you want to move your model through a very large scene ?? Is it realistic that the root stays "miles" away from the actual character it controls ?

Or do you tween the root and constantly compensate the sliding in the foot controls ??
This seems not at all work friendly to me... but like I said I'm new to the character animation business.

Can somebody share his/her professional view/workflow on this ?

Thanks !!

DenDagge
08-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Here's the walkcycle in question... feel free to comment.

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsAPKHOXfs0)

BlackCat3D
08-17-2007, 07:45 PM
you should check how you got the curves (splines,flat..) because you might have easy in and easy out on the feet and normally you dont have on the hip..so that make the difference..

veerajesh
08-29-2007, 03:17 PM
If you are doing progressive walk cycle, dont animate root.
Root(Global) is for translating character from one place to other.
If you send me ur scene file, i will do the walkcycle in progressive.

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2007, 03:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.