PDA

View Full Version : Moondust!

xsitar
08-16-2007, 02:31 AM
Are there any previews available at all?
Why can't softimage show us some demos?
Can we force them to? :D

JDex
08-16-2007, 02:56 AM
They haven't posted any online demos. I've noticed that they seem a little timid about showing it in it's current state, and one-offs to a crowd is a whole different thing than posting it to the masses to be reviewed constantly. Smart money bets that while it's still in alpha, they want to keep it close to the vest... I'd also bet that we see a proper online tech preview (much like Face Robot) a few months before it's released.

Ohmanoggin
08-16-2007, 02:29 PM
As soon as they show in to the masses, they have just shown everything to their competition. It is much safer to wait until their code is farther along. Even if their competitors couldn't implement it, they can always come up with marketing spin to counteract it long before it is ever released.

Ohmanoggin

McKertis
08-19-2007, 04:44 PM
I gather that Moondust is the new particle system ?
Will it be available in a standard package, or will it be a mostly-useless stand-alone like Face Robot ?

CiaranM
08-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Define "mostly useless".
Outside of most's pricerange, certainly. But, useless? Hardly.

McKertis
08-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Thats it. Those who can afford it - more than likely already have in-house developments for the same purpose. Thus - who is Face Robot for, then ? Not for us, simple users, and not for ILM gurus.

mocaw
08-19-2007, 08:08 PM
I doubt if every studio that "needs" face robot had internal tools that were the equivalent that softimage would have gone through all the trouble to make and market face robot.

I mean who needs a render engine right? I mean all the studios make their own...same for all the tools...even though there are supported and established tools, studios, out of pride always make their own stuff for everything...they don't even use photoshop...they write their own operating systems, web browsers...

Back to reality and away from the gossip mill...

My understanding, and please someone like those at RSP or Saturn correct me, is that a larger studio will often purchase a solution if it will work BEFORE deciding to take it on in house. Some products, like FR, supposedly come with quite a bit of on hand support to help intergrate it into the current work flow. Why re-invent the wheel if a real good one is right in front of you?

Maybe a few companies make some in house larger tools...but even ILM partnered up with pixologic as an example that goes against your "logic".

Anyway- moondust is supposedly much more than a particle engine.

McKertis
08-19-2007, 08:17 PM
I doubt if every studio that "needs" face robot had internal tools that were the equivalent that softimage would have gone through all the trouble to make and market face robot.
As i was led to believe, Face Robot is basically a marketable GUI for in-house tools made by Blur studio. So that goes in the face of your "logic".

Anyway- moondust is supposedly much more than a particle engine.
Which means we, normal folk, will not get it ?

JDex
08-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Eugene... please. You are clearly frustrated, but you are way out on the edge of reason. Face Robot is something, that our small, nearly insignificant studio is looking into... because A. it is not useless and B. it is not overpriced.

You seem to have a narrow view of the industry, please spew nonsense elsewhere.

mocaw
08-19-2007, 09:06 PM
"Inflexible Shapechanger"

Says it all!

paulrus
08-19-2007, 09:20 PM
As i was led to believe, Face Robot is basically a marketable GUI for in-house tools made by Blur studio.

What in the world led you to believe that? Blur was a beta site, but they didn't actually develop FR. They were a MAX-only company prior to FR. If they developed it internally, don't you think they'd develop a MAX-only tool?

There are plenty of behind the scenes videos and papers about the development of Face Robot. You may want to do some research before you start posting things. Otherwise you risk coming off as a troll.

The beauty of FR for many companies is the fact that it's already built and can be integrated into existing pipelines NOW. Time is money.

My understanding of Moondust is that it's way more than a particle system. The quote I got from a Softimage employee was something like "if all Moondust covered was particles, we'd really be limiting the system we've created".

Paul

TylerAZambori
08-19-2007, 09:59 PM
what about TAFA? Granted it doesn't plug right into xsi, but sure
costs a lot less.

mocaw
08-19-2007, 10:28 PM
what about TAFA? Granted it doesn't plug right into xsi, but sure
costs a lot less.

That's like face "GO-BOT" and FR is more like the "Macross SDF1". You do have a point though!

GoBot (http://www.stomptokyo.com/otf/RobotJox/gobots_scooter.jpg)

SDF! (http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/sdfmacross/macross.htm)

Ohmanoggin
08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
McKertis,
I see no reason why moondust would not be part of XSI. FaceRobot is a totally different kind of product meant for a specific task. Even in studios that use it, only a few people will require it. FR also requires direct support from Softimage special projects group to implement. FR is meant not as an XSI product, but something that would integrate directly into any pipeline regardless of the core product.

Moondust on the other hand certainly appears to be part of the XSI core. It wouldn't make much sense for it to be a stand-alone product like FR, or Softimage would have maintain two distinct animation products, which is unlikely.

Softiimage has been very generous in their pricing- especially given the recent Siggraph announcments on pricing.

Ohmanoggin

Rhs_CG
08-20-2007, 02:36 PM
I can't remember where, it might have been in a thread here on CGTalk, but some of Moondust involves changes to the XSI core, so at least some of the new technology ought to be present in each flavor of XSI. Whether or not Foundation will recieve the awesome particles remains to be seen, though I expect it won't.

ThE_JacO
08-21-2007, 12:19 AM
As i was led to believe, Face Robot is basically a marketable GUI for in-house tools made by Blur studio. So that goes in the face of your "logic".

Which means we, normal folk, will not get it ?

FR WAS NOT tools made BY Blur.
Blur was the first and main user and tester, but the developement was all Softimage special projects.

As for Moondust, no, it's not the new particle system, although the new particle system is a consequence and a part of it.

Now please moderate your tone and try to be constructive.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2007, 12:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.