View Full Version : Team Fortress 2 Illustrative Rendering

SergioSantos
08-15-2007, 04:14 PM
Team Fortress 2 Illustrative Rendering

video on Gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23520.html

bluemagicuk
08-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Amazing - really interesting demo of the illustrative process and design methodology.

I really look forward to this game .. i put down counterstrike years ago because it was consuming my life but this may well be the substitute (at least for a month or so :D)

ThomasMahler
08-15-2007, 06:36 PM
I love Valve for this! AWESOME Art Direction!

FloydBishop
08-15-2007, 07:10 PM
This is a great video. I'm anxious to play this game when it comes out.

heavyness
08-15-2007, 10:48 PM
damn, i can't wait to play this! they are really bringing the characters to life and the worlds look like something out of an animated movie.

i'm hoping for an art book or something. i would love a poster of TF2 for my studio.

alexyork
08-16-2007, 07:29 AM
i'm actually considering buying a whole new machine just to make sure this puppy runs smoothly when it's finally released. a first for me!

switchblade327
08-17-2007, 01:10 PM
This looks really brilliant. Valve really know what they're doing.

Between this game and Rock Band I think I can pretty much write off my social life this winter.

mxmowse
08-17-2007, 01:18 PM
maybe its just me but i find it truly amazing that studios are putting their information out like that. I mean i remember when i was younger before i found "cg" and it was kinda like a secret dark practice that no one outside of the industries cared for but now all of the step by steps and making ofs are put out there for the world to see and become interested....i think its cool that everyone is trying to "open" up i guess alittle. again maybe its just me hehe

inguatu
08-17-2007, 02:10 PM
8+ years in the making, with numerous set-backs and blaming it other people, it looks like they're getting closer to releasing the game. It's kinda anti-climactic for me, as I was a big fan of the franchise from way back in the day. They ruined it for me. I'll still get the game as it looks nice and it may be fun.

aaraaf
08-17-2007, 03:28 PM
That's got a really great look to it.

I love the lighting and the rendering techniques they're using... It's got a really unique look.

Thanks for posting!

switchblade327
08-17-2007, 03:47 PM
8+ years in the making, with numerous set-backs and blaming it other people, it looks like they're getting closer to releasing the game. It's kinda anti-climactic for me, as I was a big fan of the franchise from way back in the day. They ruined it for me. I'll still get the game as it looks nice and it may be fun.

There is a difference between announced 8 years ago and 8 years in the making. I would bet money that the "original" TF2 got shelved for most of those years before this project started with the same name, same classes but new just-about-everything else.

snipa101
08-17-2007, 10:28 PM
i would say the game that was in the works 8 years ago is closer to what battlefield 2 is today, except that it used the original halflife engine. i was really excited when i saw the original game, but then i got sad because it died out. but now, i am a lot more impressed with the new artwork and look forward to this design of a game instead of the original.

the original would have been just like any other "real life" shooter, this new design looks fun.

DaveW
08-17-2007, 10:36 PM

Well it could be worse....it could be Duke Nukem Forever :D

Chemix
08-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Great bit on the technology, now if Valve could simply make up its mind on a release date. Team Fortress 2 and Portal are just about the only things that have made the "episodic" idea worthwhile.

switchblade327
08-18-2007, 03:05 AM
Great bit on the technology, now if Valve could simply make up its mind on a release date.

Oh, c'mon now. Valve and Blizzard are the Pixar of the games industry: they've never missed the mark. When they push a deadline, you know the game and the gamer will benefit for it.

To quote Miyamoto: "A delayed game is eventually good; a bad game is bad forever."

JoshBowman
08-18-2007, 07:57 AM
To quote Miyamoto: "A delayed game is eventually good; a bad game is bad forever."

I'm amazed at how many gamers don't seem to understand this concept. Go on a forum after a delay and they're all up in arms and cursing/threatening to boycott the game :rolleyes: they don't seem to have the nouse to understand that waiting is actually better in the long run.

On topic, does anyone know where the notes are that were released with this video, they go into detail about the different layers etc.

solagratia77
08-18-2007, 06:43 PM
Where can I find more of those original illustrations?
Looks very interesting.

Kirt
08-18-2007, 06:59 PM
On topic, does anyone know where the notes are that were released with this video, they go into detail about the different layers etc.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2007/NPAR07_IllustrativeRenderingInTeamFortress2.pdf

JoshBowman
08-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks a bunch for the link Kirt!

ower
08-20-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm amazed at how many gamers don't seem to understand this concept. Go on a forum after a delay and they're all up in arms and cursing/threatening to boycott the game :rolleyes: they don't seem to have the nouse to understand that waiting is actually better in the long run.

There's a difference between letting a ship date slip a couple weeks, months.. or maybe even a year.. 8+ years.. Valve is a joke. The 1st half life was great.. but then they pretty much did nothing. Counter Strike wasn't theirs. That was a mod done by fans.. they just aquired it and tossed their name on it. If CS hadn't of succeded valve would of folded faster then superman on Laundry day. To put Blizzard and Valve in the same camp is a diservice to blizzard and saying Valve is the pixar of games is a joke. I've been a fan of TF since it was a Quake 1 mod.. loved it on the 1st halflife.. but lost interest years ago .. as far as I'm concerned this game is still vaporware.

switchblade327
08-21-2007, 09:06 AM
There's a difference between letting a ship date slip a couple weeks, months.. or maybe even a year.. 8+ years.. Valve is a joke. The 1st half life was great.. but then they pretty much did nothing. Counter Strike wasn't theirs. That was a mod done by fans.. they just aquired it and tossed their name on it. If CS hadn't of succeded valve would of folded faster then superman on Laundry day. To put Blizzard and Valve in the same camp is a diservice to blizzard and saying Valve is the pixar of games is a joke. I've been a fan of TF since it was a Quake 1 mod.. loved it on the 1st halflife.. but lost interest years ago .. as far as I'm concerned this game is still vaporware.

Again, 8+ years since a game is announced is enormously different then 8 years in *active development*. And if you think a couple weeks or even a couple months delay is enough time to accomodate any significant creative change then I am going to safely assume you've never worked in game development.

Half Life 1 was completely scrapped and redone at least once before it shipped, obviously for the better. Nobody cared if it was delayed because no one knew who they were then.

Then they delayed Half Life 2 rather extensively (leading to similar cries of Vaporware), which was in production for 5-6 years overall. In the end they shipped a game with 96/100 metacritic score and a 95% on gamerankings.com, which based on averages of all reviews made it the best PC game *ever* and 10th best video game on all platforms.

The mistake that Valve has made twice now is announcing ship dates too early, which Blizzard knows better then to do. Otherwise there'd be just as many frothing fanboys calling for Blizzard's blood for not shipping Starcraft: Ghost even though it was fully playable way back in 2002.

I said "the Pixar of games" in regard to both because neither one has shipped a flop yet and sometimes that means not shipping a game on time, anywhere near on time or even not shipping it ever.

Oh, and I played CS before Valve took over. It was really great for a mod but if you can't remember how different it played and especially how different it LOOKED (hint: it was hideous) then you're looking back with rose colored glasses.

bentllama
08-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I went to a playtest a couple weeks back and this game is seriously going to compete with Halo 3 playtime, for me at least...and that is saying a lot.

Beautiful game visuals, beautiful game mechanics.

CGTalk Moderation
08-21-2007, 06:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.