PDA

View Full Version : Pflow textured Instanced objects passing through Mesher question

olblue
08-15-2007, 04:08 PM
This one has possibly allready been covered however I couldnt find a reference to it unfortunately. Anyway, to explain;

I have a particle system thats drawing geometry from a group using the [shape instance] - issue I have is that the group of objects are all unwrapped and textured and I would like to create an array of generated objects using mesher - these are basically small building prefabs that are randomly bolted together with a uniform roof and ground area.

Problem is that once the particle system is passed to mesher and then on to an editable object none of the textures/ UVW co-ords pass across so its back to being a large blank grey object which belies the point of why I wanted to use the particle system to drive the creation of the building using the prefabricated pieces.

My question is, how to create a static mesh which actually keeps the textures that were assigned to it in the flow. End result is supposed to be a very high polygon set of textured pieces that I was planning to use as a Xref'ed object in max.

OlegB
08-15-2007, 04:42 PM
The Mesher object does have the proper UVW coords. The problem is that the Mesher does not have a material assigned. Particle Flow calculates a combined material out of all the materials in the group of objects. Mesher does not have this combined material.

If you can, you need to create a unified material (with sub-materials) that can be used by all of the objects in the group, and tell PFlow not to create the combined material since you can use Material Static operator with the unified material. Then you can use this unified material on your Mesher object.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

olblue
08-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Bless ye kind sir.

Doffs cap.

edit : Just tested it, works perfectly! Also by attaching all the objects together using polygon mode > attach I was able to create a fast multi/sub material - then all I had to do was detach them (as elements) and reset the pivots and they worked perfectly.

Thanks again :D

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2007, 04:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.