PDA

View Full Version : water splash???

ChewyPixels
03-30-2003, 04:53 AM
I'm in the process of creating a short for a school project and need some assistance. I have a scene where an object is thrown into water. Being a newbie to Maya, how would I go about creating a water splash effect? I would imagine I'd use Maya's particle effects. Is there a simple way of doing this? I haven't found any tutorials out there for creating such an effect, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Btw, this is my first post to CGTalk!!:D I hope to learn quite a few things from you guys and gals.

chui1675

Rudity
03-30-2003, 05:37 AM
Id use the wave deformer(Animation - deform - create Nonlinear - Wave) on a nurbs plane. The plane would be my water. Then just animate all its setting to get the look I like.

Sure alot simpler than particles.

ChewyPixels
03-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Hey Rudity,
Thanks for the suggestion :) , but the effect that I would like to achieve involves a splash, not a wave. Anyway, if I can't find a way to do the splash, I guess I'll have to settle for a wave.

chui1675

Octagon
03-31-2003, 10:49 PM
chui, depending on what kind of look (stylized or realistic?) you're after it my be a good idea to shoot some splashes on video/dv. you can map that sequence with a transparency onto a grid. you _can_ get very convincing results if your looking for the semi- realistic look.
the other way would be to use multiple particle systems to basically build an effect that looks like a splash. you would use say one particle systems for the larger chunks of water that spring off the water surface when being hit (check out the collision events part in the manual). you could use other particles to give the splash some foam or smaller chunks.
you can combine the particles with the wave to show the effect of the impact on the water surface.

basically, get some footage on what you're trying to achieve and use whatever means either texture mapped geometry, particles, fluids, paint effects to try to imitate that look.

hope this gives you some ideas.

matthias

ChewyPixels
03-31-2003, 11:04 PM
Thanks matthias :D I'll look into your suggestions. It's gonna have to take some time, since I'm still not very famniliar with the software.

chui1675

Flash FROG
04-26-2003, 11:24 PM
I have had this problem before with creating a droplet effect. To get that splash that you want you should create a particle collision event. Make it so that when the object touches the water ,or whatever it is, it will create more particles that shoot up.
I hope this helps.

Flash FROG
04-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Just another thought. you should also turn the ethentisity up on the liquid (particles) so that they stick together and look like a liquid.

Maya Ayanami
04-27-2003, 04:07 AM
hey Octagon what do you mean bye shoot some splashes on video/dv. you can map that sequence with a transparency onto a grid.

Octagon
04-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Maya Ayanami
hey Octagon what do you mean bye shoot some splashes on video/dv. you can map that sequence with a transparency onto a grid.

i'm not quite sure, what it is you don't understand.

you need to shoot the splashes in front of green screen to derive a proper matte for the splashes. this sequence of images is used as a transparency map on the grid (in addition to color being mapped)

i hope it's clearer now :)

matthias

Maya Ayanami
04-28-2003, 06:28 AM
do you mean that you after u have the video of the splash you map that onto the transparency channel of a material then assign that material to a plain then have that plane face twards the camera to create a somewhat realistic splash effect.

greek_fire
04-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Flash,
I'm confused about this ethentisity you speak of. Where is it found? Is this only Maya 5?
I have been attempting to simulate a basic trickle of fluid without success. The suggestions I've heard involve using springs w/ min/max attributes, but I'm having difficulty finding the right numbers to give some objective results.
Does anyone have any tips about the Spring (or particle) settings to get particles to behave a bit more like fluid, such as splash or thin trickles?
Aslo what type of particle rendering is good for fluids? I've gotten great cloud effects w/ cloud render, but I'm assuming blobby surface would work best for fluids. If anyone has any info on some basic attributes to point me in the right direction (without fluid effects - maya complete) I would be most thankful.

Octagon
04-28-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Maya Ayanami
somewhat realistic splash effect.

exactly.

greek_fire
04-30-2003, 05:14 AM
http://www.mtmckinley.net/tut12.html

just found this tutorial, very helpful regarding fluid simulation. give it a try chui

Maya Ayanami
04-30-2003, 05:49 AM
hmm. if you want to stick with particles the best thing to do would be to use a lot of particle sets. like have some clouds, some blobby, some hardware rendered ones like streaks and dots. and do a few of each with different settings. then youll have all of your water types that exist in real life. well of course not all. thats my green chicken.

Flash FROG
04-30-2003, 05:57 AM
If you go into the attribute edditor of the particles and go into the particle shape tab then you will see a button that says current render type. Click on it.
then the threshold and radius options will apper.
Adjust the theshold to about .5-1 to make the particles stick together.
Hope this helps.

Maya Ayanami
04-30-2003, 06:27 AM
so where is the ethentisity setting. or did you just forget the name of it on your first post.

greek_fire
05-01-2003, 03:15 AM
i think he meant "threshhold" found on particleshape after clicking current render type button

Flash FROG
05-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Yeah that is what I meant i'm sorry.
I must have been thinking about something else.

Jozvex
05-02-2003, 09:17 AM
I had a go at making a splash today and came up with something not too bad.

Go to:

www.geocities.com/jozvex/files/

And download 'splash.zip' to see my avi.

Is it anything like what you're after??

ChewyPixels
05-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Jozvex
I had a go at making a splash today and came up with something not too bad.

Go to:

www.geocities.com/jozvex/files/

And download 'splash.zip' to see my avi.

Is it anything like what you're after??

Nice! :beer: So how did you achieve this effect? I'm new to particle effects and have no idea how to go about setting something like this up.

greek_fire
05-02-2003, 09:49 PM
alright Jozvex! glad to see you've jumped into the thread. please share your particle knowledge w/ us!

Jozvex
05-03-2003, 06:35 AM
hehe

I think my scene ended up more complicated than it needs to be. I'll try making it in a simpler way later. For now, here's the scene file zipped up (Maya 4.5).

http://www.geocities.com/jozvex/files/

Get splashscene.zip

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.