PDA

View Full Version : camera move

Chowda
08-14-2007, 11:32 PM
I posted this up in the WIP section, but felt it has equal purpose being here too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv1NEijq_Os

This is the opening camera move of the current project I'm working on. I know a big criticism of 3d is the outrageous camera moves some people come up with, and I'm trying to keep this relatively coservative.

GreyMouser
08-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Hi,

It would help to know what your intention is for the shot. From the footage, it looked like a bar environment.

Looked cool though. I don't know if you're going for a more floating camera type look but some of the changes in camera directions felt a little sharp.

Chowda
08-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Its an interior of a modern house. There is a bar in the living room, lots of windows and mirrors, kind of a trope for the theme and some editing tricks. I'm taking a different approach to the production than I usually do. I'm working from the idea that its all going to be composited in Shake, lots of layers for the lighting, characters etc. So this fall is going to be locking down the animation, using the ambient occlusion pass for the animatic. That way I won't be wasting time doing huge renders I won't need.

Its weird... I'm working on a digital feature right now for some friends. Its basically two months of shooting, and a month of post for them. This fish project is taking 18 months (if everything stays on schedule, which it isn't so far) and is only going to be about twenty minutes in length. I'm also learning a lot going along, like taking a character rigging/animation class to get the fish going, some new mental ray tricks...so I'm covering a lot of new ground. Its just funny how much faster it is to produce live action than animation. Especially when you're working solo.

Is it too sharp in some places? I don't want it to be too floaty, but not too rigid either. More of a surreal thing. The fish floats, not the camera, I guess thats the mentality behind it. I'll keep posting progress as it comes along.

scrimski
08-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Get rid of the camera roll, it looks some kind of flight instead of a walk through. For a flight there are too many stops in my opinion. May be it's intended, I personally dislike that.

Focus more on the points/things/perspectives that you want to show, less on the way in between. Keep in mind that still shots are easier to cut into other (still) shots than moving or zooming shots, so allow the viewers eye to rest on details.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2007, 09:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.