PDA

View Full Version : ECC RAM and 3d rendering

takkun
01-06-2002, 10:26 AM
Does ECC RAM make a difference when it comes to rendering complex scenes or should I save my money and get regular RAM? I'm currently building an Athlon 1800+XP system and am going to purchase 2 512MB DDR sticks. I once knew someone that did a lot of CAD work and he recommended ECC but that was 3 years ago. What do you think?

takkun
01-08-2002, 07:31 AM
Come on, do all of you guys get pre-built systems from Compaq or some other crappy Wintel company? Somebody out there must know if having ECC RAM is important to have on a computer that is rendering very complex scenes. My thinking is that ECC (Error Correction Control, for all you boneheads out there) which can fix some memory data errors would be useful in making sure that renders come out cleanly and that there would be less chance of crashes and fatal errors.

I'm hoping that CGchannel readers are smarter than most idiots out there like those who think getting a Geforce 3 will speed up their final renders. baka

rendermonkey23
01-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Hmmmmm....I dont think it makes a difference but I'm not positive. It might be one of those things that if your motherboard requires ECC then you need it.

email Greg Hess (crossbow@3dluvr.com) to be sure though.

Chappo
01-08-2002, 02:15 PM
I dunno what kind of mainboard you have, but if it's a tyan then get REGISTERED ECC DDR RAM (CORSAIR pref.) !

Roam through internet and you will find that most people with dual proc. amd 1800+ all have registered ECC DDR RAM because any other won't work for them.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.