PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a printer.

Black Jesus
03-30-2003, 01:48 AM
hello... i am looking to buy a printer and i need some help... it will be used mostly to print out graphic design stuff, so i need high quality... and i don't want to spend more than $400 or $500... any help would be appreciated. thanks.

singularity2006
03-30-2003, 06:24 PM
I am not sure how big you are printing but something from Epson should do well. For no larger than 8.5 x 11, the Epson C80 (the C82 is nice but I prefer their GUI for the C80), is a pretty good bang for the buck. But if you are looking to do large design plates, the Epson large formats are pretty good. check out their site for more info. Epsons I would recommend for their color .... HP's and others ... eh.... not really.

Valkyrien
03-31-2003, 12:32 AM
gah!! no epson!!! not unless you like long print times, inferior quality and a lot of noise! get something decent, like an HP...I have a 960 that cost me about $190, but of course there are more expensive ones out there that are even better than mine!

Schwinnz
03-31-2003, 12:49 AM
I have a Canon S520 and I like it a lot ! It pretty fast too.

LeeTN
03-31-2003, 03:50 PM
OK, this is outside the posted budget you mentioned, but...

I just got an HP Designjet 10ps for $750. There's a $100 rebate offer from HP until the end of April, so it will end up costing about $650.

Why do I recommend this? You said you do graphics work right? So do I, brochures, t-shirt designs, a lot of off-set print work, etc...

The HP Designjet series can print on media up to 13" x 19" for doing full-bleed pre-press proofs, comes with a PS software RIP and many off-set printer emulations that do a damn decent job. And the output is stunning, much better than any from a color laser that I've seen.

Speedy it isn't, up to 4 minutes for a max quality 13" x 19" but then speed isn't what I want from it, high quality is.

These are prints you can take to your client as pre-press proofs without any apologies. You can do manual duplexing, or you can buy the duplexer unit if you really want it...epson's can't do duplexing. So you can walk into your client's office with a stunning 4-over-4, two-up proof.

Oh yes, it has full pantone color matching capabilities guaranteed.

Expensive: yes. But if you need something that can really turn out the goods, then I haven't found anything that compares.

Signal2Noise
03-31-2003, 04:56 PM
Yup, stay away from Epson! They are designed for the average joe resume printing and pretty baby pictures but that's about it. You are a CG Arteest!!!! I had a Canon and got rid of that too. The Canon worked great for about three months and even did 11x17 format. Then it went to hell.

I'm going to be getting an HP now. That's what we use at work and they seem to hold up very well. I may look into the DesignJet series as well.

cg_fan_2003
03-31-2003, 07:02 PM
hp all the way baby. try . . . hp deskjet 5500c or something i forget. AWESOME! check dealtime.com for excellent offers on this product.

singularity2006
03-31-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Valkyrien
gah!! no epson!!! not unless you like long print times, inferior quality and a lot of noise! get something decent, like an HP...I have a 960 that cost me about $190, but of course there are more expensive ones out there that are even better than mine!

On the contrary. If you are using an Epcon C series of some sort, u should be fine. The 800 models and below were pretty junky. You just had a bad experience with an older model, that's all. Actually, even those worked incredibly well, and were not that loud at all ... pretty quiet, it's just that those required a bit more patience than their newer ones. I think Mr. Greg Hess would agree with me that Epsons are incredible printers. HP's are the junky ones IMHO. The DeskJEt series printers have ink that takes bloody ages to dry and smears quite easily. Epson to date I believe has the highest quality inks for mid range users. You really can't go wrong w/ a new Epson. They're fast, quiet, and gorgeous. =D Check out the specs on the New Epson C82.

cg_fan_2003
03-31-2003, 09:05 PM
u sure thats not to do with the ink your buying not actually the printer LMAO.

Valkyrien
03-31-2003, 09:12 PM
singularity: i'm talking about a Color 980....definitely above 800;)

sirius
04-01-2003, 12:42 PM
In my opinion best image quality inkjet prints are made by epson printers like epson stylus photo 1290 or 950......

i use a 1290 and its predecessor 1200 combined with system wide color management, hardware monitor calibration, and custom printprofiles, which give me above average results, but the 1290 with its default profiles produces already very good quality. on the 1200 i use ink in bottles from mediastreet.com, which reduces the printing cost to the price of the paper....

:rolleyes:

singularity2006
04-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by cg_fan_2003
u sure thats not to do with the ink your buying not actually the printer LMAO.

Nah, that's an old model. I'm talking something higer up, C series material. And yes, I still hold fast my stance w/ Epsons. Older models take patience to work with but they produce outstanding prints.

And for the thing about ink, yes, it's about ink, not necessarily the printer. I've worked with a lot of different kinds of inks and I've never gotten anything that looked better than an Epson.... then again, if ur cheap and u use the refills for ink on an epson, ur gonna get shoddy everything.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.