PDA

View Full Version : Portable HD gets sooooo hot!

b.Schulz
03-30-2003, 12:27 AM
I just recently bought a Buslink 80 GB Portable HD which has a seagate HD in it. But my question/ concern is this. It gets sooo hot after being on for a few hours. I like to use it to store most of my mp3's and music and things like that. Which I use regularly, so I like to keep the HD on. But today I touched the HD and it was really really hot. Hotter than I expected. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep it cool. Being this hot can't be good for it??? Anyone else have Portable HD suggestions. A friend of mine had a maxtor that crapped out on him. And another had an Iomega that they liked? Now I'm wondering if this Buslink was a bad idea as it's getting really really hot and worry'n me.

KayosIII
03-30-2003, 12:45 AM
How hot is it compared to your internal hard-drives -- this will give you an indication of wether it is too hot. (Hard drives normally run pretty hot).

b.Schulz
03-30-2003, 01:21 AM
Seems about the same as my last HD that went bad. I dunno if it was from heat or if it was just something internal? It's pretty hot to the touch.

Reason why I am concerned is because my friends Iomega Drive doesn't get as hot as mine.

danylyon
03-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Todays harddrives work very well even under hot circumstances. Their meant to get hot and don't need active cooling (IDE Drives). I've read that somewhere, can't remember the link though.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

singularity2006
03-30-2003, 05:42 PM
Iomega drives I would imagine work a bit different than a regular HD. They are (the portable HD) is meant to reach high temperatures after long periods of time ... hours at a time with constant access is a pretty long amount of time. However, if you are using ATA133 and it becomes hot enough that u have burned yourself picking it up, then you have a serious problem. Only SCSI drives get that hot...

b.Schulz
03-30-2003, 07:10 PM
This is basically the same kinda HD as the portable Iomega HD. It's encased and everything. I take it from my home usb to work and just plug it in my USB port there and whaaalla! But mine gets a lot hotter than my friends (who's works the exact same way)?? I'm wondering if I should try and cool it down??

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.