PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah, Amadhi (3D)

Amadhi
03-29-2003, 11:45 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/31847/Cheetah_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/31847/Cheetah.jpg)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/31847/Cheetah.jpg

"Within the Tall Grass"

Cover art for upcoming book, "Essential Lightwave." Modeled/Rendered in Lightwave, Composited in Digital Fusion.

Timothy

nanabaky
03-29-2003, 11:52 PM
wow it rocks ! nothing to critic, or maybe just some part of fur around its head, looking a little wet. Maybe it was expected :) But great job ! :)

[DSmod]Tweak
03-29-2003, 11:55 PM
I was just about to say the EXACT same thing.. it does look a bit wet I think (if you want to fixe this) you can fix this by just skinning up the hairs =D

Awsome work though

======
request:
======

Make the Cheetos Cheeta next!! they are so chhhheeessy

xasteycracker
03-30-2003, 12:00 AM
get model but some of the face looks like it was painted it photoshop. but what do i know it is just my opinion. great work anyway

ward
03-30-2003, 12:02 AM
First I thought it was a painting, its much more artistic than photo real, definetely a good work!.

What I would change a bit is also the fur what nanabaky mentioned, because the face looks a little bit flat. Probably if the fur wouldn't be as blury there as it is, than it could give a characteristic to the face.

But great work!

[DSmod]Tweak
03-30-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by ward
the face looks a little bit flat.

Hmm I don't see the flatness you seem to see. I think he looks like he is kind of about to rest his head on his paw and just holding his head down and looking up like a bad ass.

digital_red
03-30-2003, 12:06 AM
Awesome.

Is that sas in action. Care to share some settings?
Maybe the fur around the face is a little to “soft”.

The Cheetah is one of my fav animals. Got to admire an animal that can run faster than my car.
:thumbsup:

[DSmod]Tweak
03-30-2003, 12:07 AM
you car is pretty slow then o_O it can only go 60-70mph :eek:

anyways yeah the cheetah is one of my favorite animals but my favorite is the monkey!

Adam
03-30-2003, 12:08 AM
wow this looks so painted. Its a really nice style you got there and I personally like the wet hair look it gives him that wild punky look hehe

Amadhi
03-30-2003, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! It actually took a bit of finessing to get the fur on the head and chest to look believably damp. :) (He was looking pretty bland and unimpressive when he was all "soft-and-fuzzy.")

Thought I'd include the "Layout" for the Scene here... The comment about the face looking Photoshopped is a big compleiment to Lightwave and Worley Labs – the folks who made "Sasquatch" the furring system I used. (Will be doing a tutorial for them on the special "modifications" to the normal manner of shadowing used on the fur here.)

Timothy

http://Timothy.artistnation.com/main/newstemp/BackCoverGraphic1.JPG

Witchy
03-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Great piece, really good stuff. How long did it take to do?

.FX.
03-30-2003, 12:47 AM
Cool :thumbsup:

Amadhi
03-30-2003, 12:50 AM
Concept to completion was about two leisurely days. Final render of 4000 x 4800 Cheetah Plate, (with fur,) took just under an hour on a 1.2 Ghz Athalon.

Nimue
03-30-2003, 01:05 AM
Very nice job, i like it a lot. you gonna animate?

DimitrisLiatsos
03-30-2003, 01:05 AM
:beer: :bounce: :bounce: Hell of a render Timothy ...damn this Lightwave has definitely beautiful renderer !!!

by the way i like the wet look on the fur :bounce:

Daolohua CnC
03-30-2003, 01:20 AM
nice...

do they explain how to get these kind of results in the book?

if so then i'll get one

Amadhi
03-30-2003, 01:56 AM
Thanks. It's the reason, after having "fought" with all major packages in various aspects of Production, I still come back to LW for my own personal use. Best "bang-for-the-buck." ("Within the Tall Grass" would have taken at least 1.5 "stress-fest" weeks, if not longer, on any other package I know.)

This guy wasn't initially intended for Animation, (though he is Rigged based on the work of my Character Animation book). But that's not to say that if I have a spare week somewhere he wouldn't find himself going through some Action.

The Body is modeled in the same manner is explained in the Character Modeling Chapter. His head is modeled in the same manner as the Human Head Modeling Chapter, (just using Cheetah Reference instead of Human reference).

For the Fur, There are tutorials I'm in-process on for Worley Labs' site, (http://www.worley.com/,) for using Sasquatch to create "Realistic" fur.

And, I'd like to really thank the comments that this looks more like a Painting than a Photo. I've been exploring using 3D to get "Painterly" effects and have bee just loving the things the process uncovers. I'm glad others also feel the result is "Artistic!" (Did a short article for Keyframe Magazine #32 on using 3D in this way). It's really rewarding, and I encourage others to play in that direction!

Timothy

baby
03-30-2003, 01:59 AM
very cool...

only crit'...I would put the iris a little bit (very subtle) lower... they are a bit high and maybe cut too much by the eyes...

proton
03-30-2003, 02:16 AM
Albee is my personal Hero.....the man has skillz!:buttrock:

ryen
03-30-2003, 02:20 AM
:drool: :drool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer: :beer:
cool!!!!!!!!

PiNs
03-30-2003, 02:21 AM
:drool: Is there anything Lightwave can't do? :beer:

manutara
03-30-2003, 02:52 AM
Nice job...

only crit'...I would put the iris a little bit (very subtle) lower... they are a bit high and maybe cut too much by the eyes

Love Cheetas!!!:applause:

Starv
03-30-2003, 02:57 AM
Wow Timothy, you work FAST. :)

I love how sinister he looks too. The wet fur really adds a lot of character. You can tell this cheetah means business. Hands down great work!

:beer: :buttrock:

Gremlin
03-30-2003, 03:15 AM
I learned a bit of maya, now im learning a bit of max, once I get a bit more efficient with max, my next package is lightwave.... this is makin' me anxious, lightwave looks awesome. :D
Great work, Cheers!
:beer:

Annuostivix
03-30-2003, 03:40 AM
wow, so good. the fur is perfect if you ask me.. Im sure it could be better, but I thought right away that judging by the skill put into this, it wouldn't look any other way than how you wnated it to. so doesnt that make it so it couldnt be better? :D No crits for me. Im just jealous at any rate

facial
03-30-2003, 03:41 AM
ArcticWolfsong, Your works are great. :thumbsup: Keep post the great work.

dark_lotus
03-30-2003, 05:12 AM
Tim, This is just stunning!!!

That painterly effect is just georgeous!!! I hope that you find the time to give us a quick run down of what you did.

Your character animation book should be arriving on my doorstep in a matter of weeks! Your new lightwave book is on the must get list!!!

Beautifull Stuff!

aenema
03-30-2003, 06:06 AM
very cool, it looks great :thumbsup: :bounce:

Aeroplane
03-30-2003, 07:21 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :thumbsup:

xtrm3d
03-30-2003, 07:42 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gotham
03-30-2003, 09:55 AM
:thumbsup:

Wizzard
03-30-2003, 12:12 PM
cheetah rulezzzzzzz!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Robbert
03-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Very cool! I love the eyes and the fur.
Great work:buttrock:

aurora
03-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Wow. This is utterly fantastic work. I've gone through a couple of your books and truely admire your ability. Any hints on when we can get your new book and some details on whats in side? Between you and Leigh's new book this could be a great year for LW book reading!!!!:buttrock:

JackaL(px)
03-30-2003, 02:22 PM
wow nice! looks great :beer:

Lalie
03-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Very nice work :thumbsup:

ZVAN
03-30-2003, 06:06 PM
lightwave render is definately better than maya! sigh.. de cheetah is, phwoar, perfect! i gt get some lightwave... :drool:

M.Rogne
03-30-2003, 06:07 PM
The only thing I can say except for wow... Would be that the muzzle might be a bit too wide, just my opinion though.

Riddlaz
03-30-2003, 06:45 PM
Hello, this is deffinately a great piece. I really like seeing renders of animals and I love everything about this one, especially the soft lighting, the fur, coloring and the dof :thumbsup:.

:beer:

Laters,
Riddlaz C.

FreeQ
03-30-2003, 07:26 PM
Hey she scrath my face! :scream:

Excellent work, I mean :applause:

----
What you get from Maya is related to How much put you in.

PS: Maya have no renderer like others. Maya have pure pixel utilities. You know that or not!

haslingerDesign
03-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Whow, i like animals, i like this.
But what are you doing in Alaska ? I am really curious.
Perhaps the nose is a bit to hardlined, shoddily black. without skin
and pores.

Amadhi
03-30-2003, 09:01 PM
The "Painterly" effect is gotten mainly through decisions made in the lighting/coloring process. In a nutshell, it is using "Artistic License" to not go about "re-creating Reality," but to make a statement about how an experience makes you _feel_. Difficult to put into words, but _easy_ to learn: Find a painting that really "gets your juices flowing," and re-create it in the software of your choice. My own personal "limitations" for my using this process is to use only the tools I would have access were this a single frame of a production, (no re-touching in Photoshop, but anything I can do in a compositing program I'd be _willing_ to do to hundreds/thousands of frames is acceptable).

"Within the Tall Grass" consists of two Lightwave "Plates" and a BG generated in Digital Fusion. Plate1: Cheetah, exported with straight-matte Alpha, and a Depth Buffer. Plate2: Grass, (rendered at ½ resolution because it will be blurred), exported with straight-matte Alpha.

BG layer created at final frame res. in DF. (One color for every corner.)

Grass Plate blurred and composited onto the BG, copied, "Inverted" left-to-right and blurred more, (to get the feeling of more layers of grass). Simple Gradient applied with "Burn" to darken and saturate Grasses to my liking.

Cheetah, rendered with my "Theatrical" "4-Point Lighting Setup," (LW, L-Script available free from the Tools section of http://Timothy.ArtistNation.com , and using the nifty little technique hopefully to be making an appearance on Worley Labs' Tutorials pages,) composited on top of previous two layers, using "Z-Buffer Blurring" to create DOF, (It's a bit of a "fake," but it is waay faster than LW's "Real-world" DOF calculations). Some small "Poly-masks" created, (in DF,) for darkening/saturating/lightening certain areas of the Cheetah, effectively "re-lighting" him to my taste!

Easy is right!

Timothy

policarpo
03-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Meeeooowww!!!

Purrr purr purrr....purrr.....purrrr....

top notch work Timothy!!:buttrock:

JeePee
03-30-2003, 09:21 PM
very cool, i love i..gr8 work :thumbsup:

santiago
03-31-2003, 03:44 AM
that's loco dude

efoo
03-31-2003, 03:55 AM
Excellent effort!!! :bounce:
I think software is not the main problem, the imaginative and art abilities of an artist is the main force.... anyway, is there other post in other category? Tim??

duncandes
03-31-2003, 06:59 AM
WhoooHooo! .. wow .. I love IT ! Great work ...

gaggle
03-31-2003, 07:58 AM
Beautiful. And very nice that the hair isn't the dry "standard" CGI hair.

I thought it was a 2D piece as well for what it's worth.

JoPPa
03-31-2003, 09:44 AM
Excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Chabee
03-31-2003, 01:07 PM
Wonderfulllll job!!!! :applause:

draconix
03-31-2003, 02:30 PM
Man, that is cool!

When I first saw it I thought it was a painting.

ToastMan
03-31-2003, 03:09 PM
Very nice model/textures/render!!

At first I thought it was a painting. You really captured the snicky and hunting stare of the Cheetah, great job!

lildragon
03-31-2003, 04:20 PM
Very nice image you got there ArcticWolfsong. The only thing I see that might be a problem is the highlights in the eyes, and the light source on the top of his head. It actually makes him look like he's in a studio setting. I'm not quite sure what look you were going for, but that's the first thing that pops up for me :). Great stuff regardless.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

proton
03-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Well deserved award! Congrats

dark_lotus
03-31-2003, 09:59 PM
Indeed, congrats :beer:

stephen2002
04-01-2003, 10:58 PM
looks great and what is even better is how much information you provided into how it was made. Nice job!

Amadhi
04-02-2003, 06:50 PM
I want to thank everyone again for your compliments and critiques! (And especially thank Lildragon for mentioning the Book on CGTalk and 3DFestival!) I am honored by receiving the "CG Talk Choice" award; there are fantastic works within those who have received it.

I just want to say again that CG is something _anyone_ can do, and do to the level they want to. It's _supposed_ to be fun! All you've got to do is to put the little bits-and-pieces together, (the same bits-and-pieces everyone else is working with,) in a way that results in something you like. Having Fun, Playing with it is the Key! Whether you're working in Lightwave or XSI, Photoshop or with colored Earth mixed with oil, how you feel while you're doing the work will come straight through what it is you do.

Being able to share the bits-and-pieces I've stumbled across in my journey with others who will be able to take them and add their own spin to them is the kickenest-buttonest thing around. I want to see what others do with this stuff! I want you guys to do work so cool that it makes everyone who looks at it not be able to wait to grab their tools-of-choice and start doing their own thing!

Inspiration is something we pass around to each other through what we do, (and usually the stuff that is most Inspirational is the stuff the Artist who created it most wanted to see, more-than-anything-else). In helping and Inspiring others, we are helping and Inspiring ourselves!

kwanjul
04-03-2003, 05:20 PM
oh my god! it's soooooooooo nice! how can u do that man!

Amadhi
04-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Worley Labs, ( http://www.worley.com ) has two tutorials up now, exploring the furring techniques used in creating this image.

Timothy

Aquamarine
03-19-2005, 11:24 PM
OH MY GOD! finally, some1 does something w/ one of my favorite wild cats...it's kicks butt! i love it to death. great job, hope there are more wildcats to come!

Inkchick31
02-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Wow guys can u really not tell that the cheetah is supposed to have a wet look? if you look at the entire piece instead of what u r calling a "flaw" u can tell that even a bit of his stomach looks "wet" as if he just got out of catching his prey in water and is now drying off. You've really got to creat an imagination here and instead of looking at this in a critics eyes, look at it from an artistic point of view. All in Tim I love the piece and how the eyes draw me in with their glow. The hue you chose was outstanding and awsome effects with ur "wet looking" cheetah.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 04:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.