PDA

View Full Version : robots transform animation, how? 0_0

Piotrek255
08-13-2007, 10:02 PM
you probabbly seen a commercial of a copy mashine transforming into a robot, and a car transforming into a robot, and the trailer of the movie Transformers!

do you have some idea of HOW they make those awesome transform animations?

CgIdentity
08-14-2007, 05:12 PM
The way I'd do it would be to just sit down and plan out the character, like what part is going to do what.

Abazaba
08-15-2007, 04:21 AM
Most of what you see transforming is done in post, using animated masks in programs like Shake and After Effects. They will have a few different models rendered out in different states of transformation all animated the same way. Then you break up the renders into different sections or "masks". Then you animate the mask revealing the other render underneath. There are many other tricks you can use to make the transformation look more solid, but you would be suprised what you can get out of this simple (but time consuming) technique.

shkumbinferizi
08-16-2007, 02:17 PM
how do u know this?
Never heard anyone talking about a similar approach?!

Nemozoid
08-16-2007, 05:55 PM
I agree with Abizaba. I've been thinking about that method myself, but I couldn't confirm if that was how it was done in the movie.

You'll be surprised with what you can get away with.

for example, I've created a type of "transformation" animation just to see how it would look. For this project I did some pre-planning as to how the parts would begin and end up, but in between you could get away with pretty much anything transforming. ( I got away with parts moving through each other )

[see it here]

I think there are two approaches. The first is the Wall-E approach. Wall-E, yea, you can make a toy out of it. Creating this would entail engineering how the parts will move and fit, as a part of the design. (my approach)

I haven't done much research as to how they do it in the Transformers movie, but I think using a combination of both animated renders and post-work (like in Abizaba's post), you can achieve it. It's more of a gimmick though, because I can't see how you could physically manipulate a 10-story cube to transform and fit in the palm of your hand, without 3D effects that is. I still shudder with awe every time I see the transforms though, it's still an amazing feat of animation to me :)

I have seen clips of the Transformers game, and well... how they transform it is pretty easy: Character jumps, spins, (motion blur), then down comes the vehicle as the door closes. more or less.

Nemozoid
08-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I agree with Abizaba. I've been thinking about that method myself, but I couldn't confirm if that was how it was done in the movie.

You'll be surprised with what you can get away with.

for example, I've created a type of "transformation" animation just to see how it would look. For this project I did some pre-planning as to how the parts would begin and end up, but in between you could get away with pretty much anything transforming. ( I got away with parts moving through each other )

[see it here (http://youtube.com/watch?v=jv6AKBHBbCA)]

I think there are two approaches. The first is the Wall-E approach. Wall-E, yea, you can make a toy out of it. Creating this would entail engineering how the parts will move and fit, as a part of the design. (my approach)

I haven't done much research as to how they do it in the Transformers movie, but I think using a combination of both animated renders and post-work (like in Abizaba's post), you can achieve it. It's more of a gimmick though, because I can't see how you could physically manipulate a 10-story cube to transform and fit in the palm of your hand, without 3D effects that is. I still shudder with awe every time I see the transforms though, it's still an amazing feat of animation to me :)

I have seen clips of the Transformers game, and well... how they transform it is pretty easy: Character jumps, spins, (motion blur), then down comes the vehicle as the door closes. more or less.

Abazaba
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
The process I described to you is a boiled down version of how I think it actually works. Below is a link to a site that has a downloadable Quicktime version of the Transformers trailer. Download the qucktime version (so you can scrub the video), and go 3/4 of the way into the vid to the part where Starscream transforms from jet to robot and lands on the cars in the street. Watch frame by frame and pay attention to the cockpit section when the engines red flames are in clear view. That section is masked off with an Alpha, and when it moves down, it reveals his head underneath.

Now this is a very simple explaination of a complex process. Im sure ILM pulled several other tricks to make this transformation look so stunning. If you look at it closely, they really did make models that function much like they toys we grew up with. But to make the transformer so big, in comparison to the original jet form, they had to have multiple models layered over each other. The use of animated masks, warped images, and motion blur reveal the larger model underneath. I hope this helps you get started. Cheers!

http://www.celebritywonder.com/movie/2007_Transformers.html

shkumbinferizi
08-16-2007, 09:11 PM
u really seem to know what ur talking about!
I closely looked as u explained into the frame by frame animations and indeed u can even see alphas coming through to reveal layers of models, I actualy even myself thought of they must have done something similar but wasnt sure, now that u cleared it off and I approved it, while looking at frames it looks so.
Thanks

Piotrek255
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
yeah, you're right, i think i know how to set it up now:) the thing is to have a nice blend between 2(or more) models, and animate the second one's starting animation in as similar pose as the second one's end animation gradient masks/motion blur/warps and other things i dont know about do the magic. I hope i will have enough patience to try that one out as i am amazed how such transformations look 0_0

thanks for sharing your opinion, its worth gold :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.