PDA

View Full Version : Greyscale elevation maps of Real World?

Garrett Cobarr
08-13-2007, 07:40 PM
I have Googled myself into a coma trying to locate a source of greyscale elevation maps. I know that they exist but cannot locate a source of this material content.

What I am looking for:

There are companies that offer elevation maps of parts of the world in the form of non-shaded greyscale maps (white high, black low). Can anyone direct me to or list the names of anybody who supplies these?

I use Cinema 4D but I am actually using these in Second Life.

BTW, I would like this resource in general but I need the Matterhorn and surrounding area of the Swiss alps.

Also if this is not the best forum category for this request please let me know which one to post this question. Thanks.

Gephoria
08-14-2007, 09:52 PM
i beleive what you might be looking for are DEM topographic maps,

dynamic elevation model i think it stands for, o well then

microdem is a program i use to retreive DEM satellite information on land mass and formations around on earth (although i chose to do mars instead) you can take topo info from these DEM maps and generate them into alpa or displacement maps, i hope this helps you, think you were searching the wrong topic

micro dem also allows you to zoom in and it updates the map as much as it can, of coarse you zoom into your house and front yard it's not gonna b perfect

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2007, 09:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.