PDA

View Full Version : re-modeling this simple shape

cheerioboy
08-13-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.brendancoyle.com/help/model_this.jpg

hey mates,

I just came across this little shape that I'm trying to re-model cleanly in 3ds max. Any suggestions to the best way to make a nice clean version of this. Polygons don't matter but I supose if it could be somewhere moderate that would be best.

thanks for any suggestions

RockstarKate
09-26-2007, 03:00 PM
How accurate does it have to be? It actually looks like a somewhat difficult shape to make.
If it was me, I'd probably try starting with a cylinder for the main shape, editing into a sort of conical shape, then I'd make that little cut out area with another cylinder laying on its side (delete unneeded faces and reverse normals). Then I'd probably use edge constraints to make a hole in the first cylinder without messing up it's shape and make sure it has the same number of height segments to match up with the second cylinder, then weld them together.
Ok, I made that sound very confusing. hope it makes some sense :)

polo84
11-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Not too familiar with Max, but in Maya I would make a cylinder and use spheres as a boolean operation to cut out the scoops in the cylinder. Hoped that helped

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2007, 03:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.