PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray 3.1 standalone as a server to multiple applications

Ryben
03-29-2003, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know how to setup Mental Ray standalones to act as slaves to more applications at once (for example Max, Maya, XSI). It seems that every application demands a different deamon on a different port (Max wants rayserver.exe, Maya wants ray3_1maya4_5server.exe and XSI wants ray3xsi3_0server.exe). I can setup Mental Ray standalone to have support for all of them when rendering .mi files, but i can serve to only one application since i don't know how to make different deamons that will point to the same ray.exe for rendering.
I have read all the docs in the distributions and i have read "Rendering with Mental Ray" book, and i still cannot figure this out...
I guess someone must know, since installing multiple copies of the same mentalray version just to have different deamons for different applications seems silly...

Thanks in advance for your help!

gmask
04-05-2003, 04:57 AM
I guess renderfarm software might beable to help you manage this better but I think wyou would still need to different daemons as each program is slightly different in it's relationship to MR.

Are you mainly concerned with netowrk rendering or parrellism for rendering a single frame from your workstation.

Ryben
04-05-2003, 05:54 AM
Thanks for your answer!

I am mainly interested in parallelism in rendering a single frame (i believe it's also called "bucket distributed"?).

I eventually found out the answer to my own question. I set up a "beefed up" version of Mray 3.1 standalone with shader support for all apps i needed in ray3rc. I installed only one daemon on port 7003. After that i changed the ray3hosts files to include the port together with the name of the servers (server1:7003 server2:7003). It seems the name of the deamon is irrelevant - i just named it Mray3server.

Now it's all working perfectly well.

gmask
04-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Ryben
Thanks for your answer!

I am mainly interested in parallelism in rendering a single frame (i believe it's also called "bucket distributed"?).

I eventually found out the answer to my own question. I set up a "beefed up" version of Mray 3.1 standalone with shader support for all apps i needed in ray3rc. I installed only one daemon on port 7003. After that i changed the ray3hosts files to include the port together with the name of the servers (server1:7003 server2:7003). It seems the name of the deamon is irrelevant - i just named it Mray3server.

Now it's all working perfectly well.

That's good to know.. glad you figured it out.

nireq
05-17-2005, 06:50 PM
could you try to explain more detailed how do you set up rayrc file and do you just copy files from max dir to standalone version of mr or did yo do something with eg mi files which have some gui statements because i have no errors mesages but i have blank buckets in final rendering in max. And could i use not the same version for slaves of mr??how do you set up a "beefed up" version
best regards

nireq
05-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Can you explain more exactly how do you set the rayrc file and did you just copy dll's from max dir and mi files also or you modified mi files becose in this fies are some gui statements ?? Did you try to render some in max because I have no error mesages in mental ray message window in max and i have blank bucket which are renders from slave machine
Best regards

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2005, 07:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.