PDA

View Full Version : image sizes

thehive
08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
all the images can be as big as i want but has to be at 72 dpi? or can it be larger , also same gose for HD plasma

Kai01W
08-13-2007, 04:20 PM
all the images can be as big as i want but has to be at 72 dpi? or can it be larger , also same gose for HD plasma

Well, a pixel is a pixel is a pixel...

-k

thehive
08-13-2007, 04:26 PM
yea i know jus wanted to use a safe resolution so shake is not dumming down images

WmH
08-13-2007, 05:28 PM
yea i know jus wanted to use a safe resolution so shake is not dumming down images

I think his point was that resolution density (dpi) is a somewhat meaningless, because a pixel is a pixel. You should be concerned with absolute resolution (AKA pixel count-(1K,2K, HD1080, ect)) and depth. DPI assumes you know how large the image will be displayed.

thehive
08-13-2007, 06:52 PM
got it , thanks

WmH
08-13-2007, 09:27 PM
got it , thanks

Image resolution is a variable thing Images should normally be ok if they are at the resolution of your output. However if you know an image is only going to occupy a small (say 10%) area of the screen it doesn't need full resolution (half or quarter of your output resolution would be fine) On the other hand, if you are panning across a background matte its resolution needs to be considerably higher than the output res unless you are going for that "soft" look;-)

The other thing you want to think about is bit-depth. before you do pixel filtering (like blurs or transforms) up sample 8 bit images to 16 bit (Other|Bytes) which will eliminate introducing additional color banding (though up-sampling alone won't automatically fix any existing 8-bit banding in the image)

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2007, 09:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.