PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Directional Constraint Plugin

wigal
08-12-2007, 06:25 PM
HI,

So I bought the maya learning tool about bi directional constraining, and was wondering if anybody here compiled the plugin that comes with it against Maya 8.5???

would be cool!

thank you

nottoshabi
08-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Can you elaborate a little about bi directional constraining. Or give us a link?

scroll-lock
08-14-2007, 08:40 AM
I think he mean this:
http://estore.autodesk.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry17C?SID=19515&SP=10023&CID=134779&PID=915353&PN=1&V1=915353&V2=&V3=&V4=&V5=11033743&CUR=840&DSP=&PGRP=0&ABCODE=&CACHE_ID=0

futurcraft
08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
If I am right, I guess they used the Bi-directional constraint plugins for the transformer rigs...? has anybody come up with a way of setting up the animation keys using the bidirectional plugin using Maya's default animation hotkeys? cause the dvd shows the process of setting animation keys using this constraint using its own UI..

It would be great if we have a community here developing this plugin together.. over whats already been done..

meagane
08-14-2007, 04:49 PM
are the bidirectional plugins (or source code) available only to those who bought the DVDs?

nilslerin
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM
If you read/watch trough the learning tool I think you will learn how to compile it for newer versions of Maya

nottoshabi
08-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Is it worth the money? What do you think about it?

futurcraft
08-15-2007, 08:56 AM
It sure is worth the money... but the only issue I have with it is that of the animation keys not yet being built into Maya atleast with the code which is provided.. they use a custom UI for it.. but the concept of breakin the cyclic dependency using the plugin is really worth knowing about even for just understanding the whole process really well..

scroll-lock
08-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Did you bought Part I and Part II or just one of them ? And can you make a little resume of what is included in them ? Should I believe the resume on the Autodesk site? :) Thanks

futurcraft
08-15-2007, 11:03 AM
well yeah both part 1 & 2 is what you need to get.. the autodesk website is pretty much whts in there in the dvds... and actually speaking it has more info in the docs too provided with the dvds.. have any of you out there compiled the plugins using VC++ 2005 express edition?? I get a whole bunch of errors.. emanating from the header files when the VC++ compiler runs the code. Its as if the header files are not having a syntax which is compatible with the VC++ 2005 express edition compiler. I read the docs in May 8.5 and it says that maya 8.5 API has been compiled with the Visual studio 2005 edition. does this mean that the compiling will not work with the express editions of Visual studio?

BoostAbuse
08-15-2007, 03:36 PM
In order to compile using VC++ Express Edition you need to make a few alterations to the API
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/development_api/268.html

That will give you the outline on how to modify the wizard and library to compile using Express Edition, though I would highly suggest compiling using the non Express Edition but if funds are tight it will work the same.

As for the bi-directional constraining, think of it like a non-hierarchial parent whereby you can pull on the child and the parent will follow or pull on the parent and the child will follow (hence bi-directional). Motionbuilder has the exact same theory inside of it though it's far more efficient and precise. The code provided works, albeit it's what I would call still an early beta for bi-directional constraining inside Maya and even the presentation mentions that it's a very early stage mock-up intended to introduce people to the concept in hopes of turning it into a real solid production tool. Jazz Tigan (sp?) I believe compiled a version that he included a flash interface with, if you search the boards for the bi-directional constraint stuff or search Jonhandhisdog.com I believe the plugin is available for download.

-s

nottoshabi
08-15-2007, 03:41 PM
Isn't the express edition a compact version of the visual studio 2005? I dont think there should be something there that should not work. I have not tried what you are trying to do I'm just thinking out loud. I have the express edition my self. I have been getting errors my self with the header files. I think that is a microsoft question. Write to them and ask, see what they say.

meagane
08-15-2007, 04:44 PM
what does mean: it`s not precise?
so it cannot be used for accurate production??

BoostAbuse
08-15-2007, 08:46 PM
nottoshabi: yeah, express is just a watered down version of the full package but for some reason the Maya plugin information just doesn't work the same with Express Edition. Go figure.

meagane: It's a cool plug-in and an interesting concept, but due to the nature of the workflow and necessity of breaking the hierarchy and setting keys in a not so standard fashion it doesn't quite fit into a production environment out of the box which is the way most Masterclass material should be (should be able to take the concepts and spin them into your own ideas and creations). That said, you probably wouldn't be able to hand the plug-in off to an animator and expect them to be able to work with it in the most regular of fashions.

-s

nottoshabi
08-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Ahh crap so what now I have to go buy the software in order to make plugins?

meagane
08-16-2007, 10:09 AM
BoostAbuse: does the plugin has a weight attribute, so the parenting can be turned of?

scroll-lock
08-16-2007, 10:43 AM
well.. we used the Express edition before in our studio and we successfully compiled a lot of plugins for different versions of Maya...now we use the full Visual Studio, but haven`t noticed to be any different. Of course I haven`t tried that particular plugin....Anyway, I`m gonna buy the dvds and I`ll check if I can recompile it for 8 and 8.5...

futurcraft
08-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Hopefully this post should complete the picture for the Setup of the VC++ Express edition for Maya plugin development..

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4590790#post4590790

Cheers!

Nikhil.

BoostAbuse
08-16-2007, 08:07 PM
You can compile just fine with Express Edition, we've got a few copies here for our FX guys and some other mild developers. You just need to alter some values that the Wizard relies on and that the compiler looks to, mainly just identifier codes.

The link I posted to highend3d will suffice in letting you compile Maya plugins using Express Edition :) If all else fails, can't go wrong with Linux.

futurcraft
08-16-2007, 09:23 PM
nottoshabi: I have been getting errors my self with the header files. I think that is a microsoft question. Write to them and ask, see what they say.

I have again encountered the same errors with respect to the header files... I followed the steps exactly on the high end site & also the MSDN tutorial on making changes in the VC++ express edition to support the PSDK installation. I even made the changes in the project settings to source the respective include, bin & lib files from both PSDK & Maya. Though now I end up with the same errors with the same header files during compile time..

I'd really appreciate some help here.. I'm attaching the buildlog html file as a reference. Here is the jist of the bunch of errors:

c:\program files\autodesk\maya8.5\include\maya\mstatus.h(161) : error C2653: 'std' : is not a class or namespace name
c:\program files\autodesk\maya8.5\include\maya\mstatus.h(161) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '&'
c:\program files\autodesk\maya8.5\include\maya\mstatus.h(161) : error C2433: 'ostream' : 'friend' not permitted on data declarations
c:\program files\autodesk\maya8.5\include\maya\mstatus.h(161) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
c:\program files\autodesk\maya8.5\include\maya\mstatus.h(161) : error C2653: 'std' : is not a class or namespace name
c:\program files\autodesk\maya8.5\include\maya\mstatus.h(161) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'ostream'
c:\program files\autodesk\maya8.5\include\maya\mstatus.h(161) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
c:\program files\autodesk\maya8.5\include\maya\mstatus.h(161) : error C2805: binary 'operator <<' has too few parameters

I get the same set of errors for all the maya header files which are called by the program code. Can anybody help me out here....?

Thanks so much...

Nikhil.

BoostAbuse
08-16-2007, 10:45 PM
I don't have access to Maya 8.5 at the moment but what version of Visual Studio are you using? 2005 Express Edition? We're still on 8.0 at the office as I've yet to really find a need for switching to 8.5 but in testing I noticed a whole wack of problems in the conversion due to the Nucleus change. Comparison between the two MStatus.h files for 8.0 and 8.5 32bit just shows that there have been a few things added and changed for openMaya support.

futurcraft
08-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Yes I am using the 2005 express edition of Visual studio & Maya 8.5 - 32 bit is what I am working on.. if changes have been made, shouldn't autodesk help to provide support for developers who work on plugins for 8.5? Or is there any other way to develop plugins for 8.5 by using the source files from an earlier version of Maya like 8 or 7?

I also put up a posting on the MSDN forums and this is the reply I got from one of the Software developers of Microsoft

I would make sure that your include path contains the location of iostream and that the code actually includes this header file. But even after including this line of code I get the same errors again.
#include <maya/MIOStream.h>
the io.h file too is within the default project settings directory path for the VC++ include files

BoostAbuse
08-17-2007, 10:10 PM
The only thing I can think of is if it's just not able to link the folders together for some ridiculous reason. My workstation at the office has all of my installs mapped to C:\aw\maya8.#_##bit\ but I'm using VS2005. I might be able to do a dry test-run with VSEE2005 on a home machine to see if I can recreate the header errors, just compile a stupid little plugin and see what happens.

-s

futurcraft
08-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Hey Shawn...!

Thanks a lot for your time n advice on this issue.. But I am really happy to say that i finally got it to work after getting advice from another thread...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=89&t=528981 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=89&t=528981)

This thread has all the info one needs to set up VCE2005 for Maya 8.5.

Thanks once again to all of you guys who poured ur thoughts into problem solving this issue...

Cheers!

Nikhil.

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2007, 11:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.