PDA

View Full Version : Merging Soap bubbles?

Wiz
08-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey everyone, I have to create an animation of soap bubbles merging togther, kind of like Metaballs would act, but I have no idea how to approach this task.

How would you go about doing such a thing? Perhaps geomtry with some sort of blend shapes? or perhaps another approach? It is suposed to look Realistic but stylisitic, so It doesnt have to be 100% realisitic..

any other approach? Perhaps particles? I am not sure.. would love to ehar some thought or directiorns.. thanks alot.

sp0rk3d
08-15-2007, 02:03 AM
hmmm sounds like a job for nurbs primatives with construction history turned on.

so if you have a nurbs sphere pas throug say a nurbs plane for instance you can do an intersect operation between the two survaces. this will produce a curve on surface on one or both of the surfaces(your option)
You could then do the same with another sphere and the same plane to get 2 spheres intersecting a plane and trim them both. If you leave history for all of this you should be able to animate the spheres comming together at the plane and becomming trimed.. you might then want to animate the scale of the resulting 2 hemisphers to acount for the new volume of air... well that's an idea anyway. maybe it will work for you

edit:
oh and you will want the poles of the spheres to pas through the plane so that the intersect curve can make one curve seam to seam on the nurbs sphere...

hpe that helps
-matt

Buexe
08-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I found a pretty nice Maya metaball solution on highend3d.
It is a plug-in but the author also has the source code included.
I don`t know the name right now, sorry

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2007, 12:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.