PDA

View Full Version : Hapless Hero/Villian - Character - bibi5000

bibi5000
03-29-2003, 03:33 PM
This is my first 2D challenge and I hope my submission does fit the rules. It is inspired by paintings around 1900. Let me introduce you to

GentleMan!!!

He fights his foes with the power of good manners and the weapons of good language. He can dispute any villain to the ground by pointing out that he is wearing the wrong eau de cologne. He is always dressed properly and he doesnt't hesitate to use that fact against his enemies! He is the incarnation of gentle manners and good taste.

His career went down like a duck made of led when he was caught with his zipper open and wearing underpants with little hearts.

Here comes the first sketch for a start:

http://home.arcor.de/bibi5000/bilda/gentle_sketch.jpg

dinlenmis
03-29-2003, 09:21 PM
You can give him some heroic qualities, hapless or not, he should look like a hero. Good luck!

bibi5000
03-30-2003, 10:06 AM
He'll get a mask and a hat with a big "G" on it. He is kind of a very silent and subtle hero :arteest:

bibi5000
03-31-2003, 02:23 PM
Here's a little update. I'm just blocking out the colors so far.

*Image deleted*

bibi5000
04-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Here's a (little) update, I have been very lazy recently. :D

*image deleted*

bibi5000
04-30-2003, 10:37 PM
Well, this is my final.

Thanks everybody. :)

http://home.arcor.de/bibi5000/bilda/GentleMan2.jpg

dmcgrath
05-01-2003, 07:02 AM
Great job! I only now noticed the final v. Really really cool work.

bibi5000
05-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks!

DV8
05-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Nice work on the challenge. what program did you use to paint? photoshop or painter?

bibi5000
05-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks, DV8. I used Photoshop on the scanned scetch (see first post) and painted in 2000x1386 with my wacom.

Witcher
05-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Hmm.... your sketch and the final image look just like an art piece by Giovanni Boldini. If you ask me - I like the original painting far better.
Follow this link (http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/art.asp?aid=332) to see Boldini's painting.
You'll have to scroll down a bit to see the portrait of Count Robert de Montesquiou (direct link to the image didn't work).

bibi5000
05-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Ya got me there :)

And yes, unfortunately I'm not as good as Boldini.

Welcome at CgTalk.

dinlenmis
05-10-2003, 07:20 PM
You've copied someone else's art???!!!
And you're smiling?!!
I think your entry will be disqualified.

DV8
05-10-2003, 07:30 PM
I would consider that plagerism.... its one thing to be inspired by someone else's art, but to pretty much copy it and call it your own is something totally different and wrong. You should of at least mentioned that you worked from someone elses art.

In my career, I have had my work "ripped off" several times, by both individuals and a large company (you wouldnt believe the company if I told you)- and I must say it totally sucks. It has made me become protective of my work- even going so far as to password protect my website.

If you are going to copy, give credit where it is due.

more importantly, be original.

tmt
05-11-2003, 08:13 AM
This sucks... This situation reminds me the demo compos of the c-64, amiga, early PC era, when every lamer copied some Vallejo, Frazetta, etc. artwork and won the gfx compo... I hated that, as well as this stuff...

Witcher
05-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Hey, don't be so hard on bibi guys. He had to put some effort into his piece no matter if it's a copy or not. Now bibi, I guess you really should've given us some indication that your pic was inspired by the work of Boldini then I probably would've chosen a different thread to make my first post on this board.
:hmm:

DV8
05-11-2003, 06:23 PM
no sympathy here from me. Bibi knew what he was doing the whole time.

I see it happen all too often... like I said, its one thing to be inspired by something, but to copy it, and then not even give credit where it is due is just evil- in my opinion anyways.

secondly- if Bibi really cared about what other people thought, he wouldnt have done it in the first place.

I am sure he is not losing any sleep over it, and either should anyone else- I know I am not

DV8

enough said

bibi5000
05-11-2003, 07:33 PM
I am sure you guys are waiting for an answer. Well, here it is:

First, I am sorry. I should have stated clearly that this picture is heavily inspired by Giovanni Boldinis portrait of Count Robert de Montesquiou instead of the vague "It is inspired by paintings around 1900". This is my fault and please take me for serious if I say that it was not my intention to copy someone's art or steal an idea which I did not.

Second, if someone thinks that this submission should be disqualified, he should contact the mods and ask them to make a decison wether GentleMan should be disqualified or not. I will accept this decision and remove my pictures if necessary and not rant about it.

Third, my opinion is that my picture is originally enough that it can stand alone. Yes, it's a man in a very similar pose, with very similar clothes, with the same beard etc. but that's not the point.
The point is that my picture has a totally different meaning. Funny that no one said anything about the idea behind GentleMan and about how it's painted.

@Witcher: As I told you, I'm not Boldini what means that I can't paint like him and I don't want to paint like Boldini. I painted it the way I do and enough about it. Sorry again about not stating clearly that blablabla. You were right about that.

@dinlenmis: I was smiling because I tried to be polite. About the disqualification, see above. And I don't think I copied it, I used it as reference. Heavily, but no copy.

@DV8: For your first point, see above. Sorry again...
I'm sorry, too, to hear that your work has been ripped of. Happens to everyone, unfourtunately:
See here: Sunflowers (http://www.sunflowers.de/gfx/1503/pack_anno_1503.jpg)
And here: Craig Mullins (http://www.goodbrush.com/hirez_pgs/concept/concept1/harbor.JPG)

no sympathy here from me. Bibi knew what he was doing the whole time.
...not even give credit where it is due is just evil
...if Bibi really cared about what other people thought, he wouldnt have done it in the first place

If you are accusing me of that, use your search button an look at my other posts. If I am a lazy rip-off wanna-be artist which it seems you think I am, then judge me not by this one alone, because I have a reputation to lose here, maybe not a big one but accusing someone that he intentionally steals from other artists and gives a s**t about it is no small thing.
I tell you again, I didn't steal from Boldini, I used it as reference.
So don't tell me that I'm evil.

yours truly
fab

DV8
05-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Look, its not big deal to me. I am glad you are sorry for what you did. I guess we just have different opinions on what is referenced and what is copied. and thats totally cool! everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Bottom line it doesnt matter to me at all, I said my 2 cents, which I am entitled too and thats it.

Its all good, hope you learned a lesson (make sure you give credit where it is due).

This is my last reply to this post, I wont be checking back here again.

DV8

bibi5000
05-11-2003, 09:38 PM
This is a good method to get some replys. ;)

DV8: :beer:

yours truly
fab

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.