PDA

View Full Version : Control Curve Color changing when you select parent....

Dr.Spaz
08-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Wow good thing i post here alot.

Anyhow, what i am wondering is if there is any way to avoid the connnected control curves in a rig changing color to the purple to indicate an incoming connection. Say i select something like the shoulder control. My clavicles are under groups constrained to the shoulder, so they turn purple. I dont want that. Anyone know how to avoid that?

Thanks.

JohnPark
08-21-2007, 03:03 PM
A couple of ways: one cheesy, one more involved. The cheesy way is to switch Maya's Settings/Preferences > Colors setting to a less annoying color. I work this way sometimes, but it only helps me, not the animators using the rigs.
The elaborate way is to use a multi-tiered control approach to avoid ever picking a control that's directly related to the thing you're seeing turn magenta. So, if you're picking object A, and object B is turning magenta, due to a constraint or something, add a new object C that has direct connections to control the transforms on object B. Now, pick and animate with object C. (Credit for this scheme goes to Ryan Roberts.)
-JP

Dr.Spaz
08-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Hi there, and thanks for your reply.

I was wondering if you could elaborate or give an example scene. I tried doing exactly what you said, I had 3 objects, A,B,and C. Object B was constrained to A, so whenever I grabbed A, B would turn magenta. Thats normal. I then direct connected C's translates to B, making it constrained to A as well as direct connected to C. When I selected C, B also turned magenta, normal as well. I think i'm missing something here. Are any objects being hidden?

Thanks again!

JohnPark
08-24-2007, 04:57 AM
Oops, I'm sorry. I was totally lying. The method I described avoids hierarchy objects looking selected when their parents are picked. It doesn't fix your problem. Appologies all around!
-JP

CGTalk Moderation
08-24-2007, 04:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.