PDA

View Full Version : how to attach accesories that animate while model moves

Piotrek255
08-10-2007, 05:48 PM
I have a model of a soldier, and I want his ammo packages, (which are connected to his belt) have an animation of realistic moving when he runs, or jumps.

Other example would be a backpack which moves on its own when a character runs, or jumps, how to achieve this?

thanks in advance

KielFiggins
08-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey man, dunno what program your using, but the princible should be the same. I recently worked on a similiar project ( http://www.3dfiggins.com/gallery.php?id=39&item=155#155 ). I found that a single joint FK controlled thats pinned to the Hip and Body control, works well for ammo belts. If you put the pivot at the hinge (where it connects to the belt), you can get decent flop and nice twists in the motion.

For the backpack, similiar setup, only pinned to the chest.

As for moving on its own either by dynamics or offsets, Im unsure of. I enjoyed animating them by hand to add weight or additional hang time without messing attributes and gravities.

Hope this helps, good luck

Piotrek255
08-10-2007, 09:26 PM
FK solver? i dont have it in my 3Dmax options, i have IK solvers -> HI solver

i went with that, it looks good, but i think your settigs are better 0_0 nice animations

switchblade327
08-11-2007, 09:58 PM
An 'Fk solver' in Max is what you get by default when you create a bone and adding extra bones to your character's skeleton is how you can get what KielFiggins is talking about, which is how I'd do it too.

But unless it's for a game engine or something specific, I wouldn't even bother making it an actual Max bone but a piece of geometry like a box, linked to the closest actual bone (in the case of ammo packs on his belt, you'd like to the pelvis bone). By not making it part of the actual bone chain but a box linked to the skeleton you can translate as well as rotate the bone, which will be helpful to add bounce.

Move the pivot to where it needs to be, skin the ammo packs 100% to the new "bone" and animate away. I would manually animate this kind of thing as well, especially if it's not a lot of animation.

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2007, 09:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.