PDA

View Full Version : Networking problem. XP.

Digiegg
03-29-2003, 04:21 AM
2 computers.
One computer has 2 network cards.
Other has one.
The one with 2 network cards is DIRECTLY hooked up to the internet.
the other one is hooked up to the router. same with the other computer with it's second card.

I did the network thing but it keeps giving me Cannot Setup Network thing.
I go in manually to Advanced and tried checking the "Allow other users to use internet through this computer". After I check it and close it, it say that I can't do that. I get an error. It reads, "An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependency service or group failed to start." and all I can do is click ok. and it won't check it.
What's wrong?

Sieb
03-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Sounds like one of the services isnt running.... Have you disabled any services? Right click on my computer and choose Manage, then go to Services and Apps, then Services. Look for any that say "Disabled" or "Stoped" . Did you try running the network setup wizard?

Digiegg
03-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Sieb
Sounds like one of the services isnt running.... Have you disabled any services? Right click on my computer and choose Manage, then go to Services and Apps, then Services. Look for any that say "Disabled" or "Stoped" . Did you try running the network setup wizard?

I did not touch any of the services. Yes i did network setup wizard but it tells me that I can't. I get the, Cannot Setup Network blah blah.

Sieb
03-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Hmm.. I would uninstall, reboot, and reinstall the drivers for your network cards if you haven't already. And use the manufactures drivers, not XPs ghetto built in drivers. Then I would just try to get one connection to work at a time. After that, dont run the wizard, instead, select both connections, right click, and select "Bridge Connections." See if that works.

Why is your network setup this way? One machine connected to the internet and a router, while the other is connected to the router...? Is this router a gateway router that you plug the dsl into and then the rest of your systems letting it DHCP and Firewall?

If so, your better off letting the router do what its supposed to do and just DMZing the XP box. I have always encountered weird issues trying to make XP be a server/NAT box infront of a router, a job its not really supposed to do. But try manually bridging the connections first. This will make the second one transparent and do a sorta NAT setup automatically instead of ICS. I did it this way all the time before I got my wireless network setup.

dvornik
03-29-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by NissanSexima
The one with 2 network cards is DIRECTLY hooked up to the internet.
the other one is hooked up to the router. same with the other computer with it's second card.

What do you mean? Either I miss something or you are doing it wrong. If you have a router you don't need ICS. And you only need one card in each computer. Just enable DHCP and uninstall all ISP crap that they make you install. Describe your setup in more detail. And don't use the wizard.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sharing - good place to ask this kind of questions btw.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.