PDA

View Full Version : Good site to build computer?

bawhabmw
03-29-2003, 04:16 AM
Hey Fellow Computer Artists,

I have been searching for quite sometime now and I want to get some input of a good web site for customizing your PC. I read about Adobe's press release on Mac vs. PC, and as much of a Mac guy I am.... :cry: I'm going to get a PC. I've read about the coming ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb graphics card and the new benchmarks on the Intel Pentium 3.06Ghz .:drool: The dual G4's are getting blown away. So anyways, what would you reccomend for a 3d artist and animator and where could I customize my PC? I could really use some advice.

Thanks,
Benno:surprised

JIII
03-29-2003, 04:50 AM
hmmm visit this web site its got dual g4's for 900 and change dollers.

thats pretty darn cheap, so you might wanna reconsider that switch your making.

that said apple does not support dual planes so that sucks crud but then again raedon doesnt either (I don't think so anyway)

http://www.purchaseprogram.com/sites/purchaseprogram/default.aspx

Tad
03-29-2003, 06:18 AM
oh man, not that dual planes crud again.

you'll never notice a difference,
just get a pc, they're cheaper and faster, no matter what,
and always will be.

if you like the mac os, enough to override those factors, then stick with the mac.

oh, i'd rather go with a geforce than radeon also,
never seen a radeon outperform a geforce, and i've tried many of each.

Anim8rJB
03-29-2003, 07:32 AM
New Egg (http://www.newegg.com) is always a popular site, but some of the best PC deals can be found on Pricewatch (http://www.pricewatch.com) (but most of the deals are on OEM products).

bawhabmw
03-29-2003, 08:16 AM
thanks for the posts,

I know that the ATI Radeon, not only the 9700, but the 9800 is faster than any nVidia card. In fact that's why ATI has soo much buzz about it because it was the first company to dethrone nVidia as the king of the graphics cards. But anyway, I was wondering if anyone has anymore web sites.

Benno

kwshipman
03-29-2003, 05:31 PM
check out the hardware forum here on CgTalk. THere is a ton of info on different products, how they interact with different software, and such. (The general feeling about ATI cards is they are great for gaming but buggy in 3D apps)

For sites that I used when making my computer, here a few

www.googlegear.com
www.newegg.com
www.mushkin.com (for ram)
www.monarchcomputer.com
www.coolerguys.com
www.colorcases.com
www.xoxide.com
www.circotech.com

i would have more but I accidently erased my mozilla favorites
:shrug:

GregHess
03-29-2003, 05:52 PM
I know that the ATI Radeon, not only the 9700, but the 9800 is faster than any nVidia card.

Speed is just a single aspect of a graphics cards ability. Its functionality in the application, as its stability, are other primary factors in the decision for a workstation capable accelerator.

You didn't mention what app you would be using, so I can't comment directly on the 9700 pro in it, but some people have had some pretty tough times getting it to work in their app of choice...sometimes to the point of actually having to return the card. Faster is definitely not always better when it comes to applications.

If your a mac user, going to the pc for the first time, you'll have a lot of reading to do to catch up on technology trends. Don't buy blindly, as you can end up in a situation far worse then your currently in.

Either that, or find a competent individual who can advise you on your purchase.

As for the Mac vs PC debate. The PC's are hella faster. The only real reason to go Mac is ease of use, familiarity of the OS, and experience with the platform. (Aka if your a mac user, you tend to gravitate towards mac's no matter what, since your used to their little issues/problems).

As mentioned in a previous post, there are a variety of large hardware dates coming up. In late april, amd releases their opteron processor. In late may, Intel releases their 3.2 P4's, their 800 FSB chips, and the springdale chipset. All of these dates will result in pricecuts across the board, with an almost 35% reduction on the 3.06 HT Pentium IV processor.

So if you can wait...I'd start researching around the web. Learn about what you need. And prepare a purchase to occur sometime around the "major" pricecuts.

bawhabmw
03-30-2003, 05:03 AM
thank you to everyone who responded. I am experienced with a PC, it's only recently that I switched to Mac. I think the mac OS is better then Windows, but as many of you know, the Cons far outweigh the Pros. So Thank you again for your input and I will get back and see what y'all think.

Thanks again,
Benno

P.S. I will be using Adobe After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, some 3dsMAX, Houdini, and Renderman. So the best gfx card for that type of app usage, tip will be useful.

GregHess
03-30-2003, 05:08 PM
P.S. I will be using Adobe After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, some 3dsMAX, Houdini, and Renderman. So the best gfx card for that type of app usage, tip will be useful.

A Quadro4 would probably be your best bet then. Either a 750, 900, or 980XL.

If you can't afford it, then probably just a Geforce4 Ti

bawhabmw
03-31-2003, 01:14 AM
Can you explain to me why GeForce and not ATI Radeon? maybe show me some benchmarks or somethin. I just want to understand it is all.

thanks,
Ben

GregHess
03-31-2003, 02:21 AM
Benchmarks don't matter.

What matters is the functionality of the card within the application your using.

Speed is nothing if you can't use the program properly.

On most 3d apps the radeon 9700 pro just doesn't cut it as a capable accelerator.

Quick notes...

Maya paint is unworkable with some ATI radeon cards.

There are known issues with XSI in their database with the Radeon 9700 pro. One of the bigger issues involves the inability to select polys/edges in raycast selection mode.

There are also issues with 3dsmax. Namely performance and some random bugs here and there. (Transparencies, some dual plane operations).

The 9700 pro is a great gaming card, but I'd avoid it if your serious about 3d work. If your just a hobbiest...then it doesn't matter what you put in the machine really.

Marc Andreoli
03-31-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by JIII
hmmm visit this web site its got dual g4's for 900 and change dollers.

thats pretty darn cheap, so you might wanna reconsider that switch your making.

that said apple does not support dual planes so that sucks crud but then again raedon doesnt either (I don't think so anyway)

http://www.purchaseprogram.com/sites/purchaseprogram/default.aspx

Have you tried those guys ? I mean, it sounds too good to be true, I am very sceptical... can they really deliver (time to delivery, price...) ?

cheers

cg_fan_2003
03-31-2003, 07:53 PM
redeon 9700 us much better gfx quality than the latest geforce but slower.thats the answer. There is an AIW 9700 too.

GregHess
03-31-2003, 08:10 PM
Er...cgfan...

Did you read any of the posts? Or are you just commenting randomly?

cg_fan_2003
03-31-2003, 10:02 PM
50/50 - its a fact relates to the topic and i think he wants/needs to know it. Also it is my comment. sorry my english is bad.

Bradf0rd010
03-31-2003, 10:11 PM
I think he was trying to point out that the image quality in general is better on radeons than it is on geforce. Which, to an extent is true, nVidia is notorious for falling down in terms of IQ.

But then, as Greg has pointed out, the point becomes mute when you take into account the fact that radeons simply don't work well with numerous pro 3D applications.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.