PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up cables for animation

zengyro
08-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Hello. I am still a bit rough on the corners when it comes to 3d art hehe. I guess practice does indeed make perfect. (and im a newbie..please dont bite too hard ^^; )

Anyways, I have a question concerning cables. I have to animate assorted cables, such as an ethernet cable.

The problem comes in how to efficently create a solution so animating such a cable where it doesnt become a micromanging nightmare.

Currently this is how I am doing it:

I create a rather long chain of bones (lets say around 30 bones) on a cylinder that might have around 60 height segments and thats about 110 inches long. I give it a skin modifier and select the bone chain (IK chain) for the bone modifiers and then I link up any ends (such as an ethernet cap) to the bone on each end. Then I create a dummy where the parent bone is and link the parent bone and the cylinder to the dummy to make it easier to move the entire assembly around.

The problem comes to the far end of the chain where it becomes rather unweildly to set up to where I want it to go. For instance, plugging in said ethernet cap into a ethernet switch port.

So I was hoping if anybody has a hint or idea to help de-micromanage the current solution I have. Or atleast if it its possible that I can "tug" on the last child bone and set it in its place so I dont have to run through the entire chain and align it properly.

shkumbinferizi
08-16-2007, 03:23 PM
ever thought using IK splines or something?

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2007, 03:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.