PDA

View Full Version : Particle Vortex/Find Target modifiers

Matthewjc
08-09-2007, 02:58 AM
Hi, I'm working on an effect where some particles are leaving an object and following "find targets" until they come back around again to re-form into the object.

The problem is that I would like a vortex, whirlwind-type effect as the particles move to the first "Find Target"(sphere), then they will continue on normally.

I've tried several different methods, including using a vortex modifier. When I use the modifier, the particles continue to spin and don't go to their next "Find Target operator"... ruining the effect :sad:

Please have a look at this short clip and share any ideas you may have:

http://members.shaw.ca/ancientprize/test_effect.mov

Thanks,
Matt Chin

Wicked
08-09-2007, 03:32 PM
It would help a lot if you could post a screenshot (or the .max file) of your PFlow setup.
I'm guessing that you have just 1 event (with several FindTargets?) which continues al of the particle-motion..?

Try something like this:
(this is suppose to make your pflow-setup a little bit clearer... :p)

-event1--------------|
| find target (sphere) |
----------------------|
|
|
|-event2----------
|Force (vortex) |
|AgeTest (30) |
------------------|
|
|
|-event3-------------
|FindTarget (sphere2 |
|---------------------

Anyway, see if you could post a screenshot. Otherwise I am forced to boot up 3ds Max and make it myself :p

Matthewjc
08-09-2007, 08:44 PM
"It would help a lot if you could post a screenshot (or the .max file) of your PFlow setup.
I'm guessing that you have just 1 event (with several FindTargets?) which continues al of the particle-motion..?"

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I'm doing. The effect is for a more complicated shot than the .mov I've provided. There will be several events for the final.

I've found a way to get the desired effect.

Create a helix shape in-between the first "find target icon" and the emitter object. Line up the end of the helix to the first "Find Target icon" so that when the particles travel along it and reach the end, they will immediately enter into the next event and continue moving.

Then create a "speed by icon" and link it to the Helix shape with a path constraint. Adjust the speed by adjusting the keyframes, etc., then render.

It gave the exact effect i was looking for. A vortex-like effect with a lot of control that quickly whirls the particles around and leads them to the next event.

Using forces(vortex, wind), or find targets didn't seem to give any control for this particular effect, the particles fly around and have trouble getting to the next event which was pretty frustrating.

Matt Chin

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2007, 08:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.