PDA

View Full Version : Entry Level Digital Animators Salary??

ckpepper02
08-09-2007, 02:06 AM
Tonight I went on a tour of the School of Communication Arts in Raleigh, NC and the facility was awesome! I am looking to make a career move from Web Design/Development to Digital Animation. My question is do any of you know what type of salary I can expect here in the US for an entry level 3D animator? My current job pays pretty well, but I want to follow my dream.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Chris

Hyphen
08-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Depends on what you plan on doing. Character animation, effects animation, technical animation, television, film, games, medical? As cool as being an animator sounds, it really does not pay as well as most people think. according to the princeton review:

# of people in profession: 324,500 Average hours per week: 40 Average starting salary: $37,500 Average salary after 5 years: $52,000 Average salary after 10 to 15 years: $83,000

but after 10-15 years you should be capable of being a lead or supervising animator and those guys in the feature film industry make alot more than 80k a year. and bigger studios pay bigger money. and a staff position will pay a little less than a temp freelance gig. there are a lot more factors involved.

being an animator is definitely not as glamorous as some people make it out to be.

ckpepper02
08-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Thank you for your response. I was looking to do films, animated shorts and possibly cinematic sequences for games.

kgaulin
08-18-2007, 02:03 AM
You can find some useful info here;
Game Developer (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13352)
BLS (http://www.bls.gov/)

I have to say that I don't completely agree with Hyphen's statement, "being an animator is definitely not as glamorous as some people make it out to be." It may not be "glamorous", but it sure as hell beats slinging plywood IMO. If you find a good studio that takes care of its people, you can end up making a pretty decent living.

Good luck....

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2007, 02:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.