PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Irregular eye modeling/animation

spiralof5
08-08-2007, 06:51 PM
So usually I have a sorta human with a sorta round shape for the eyeballs. But now I have this super cartoony monkey with looney toons type eyes or the 3/4 circles for eyes.

So, as you would know, the functionality of a sphere doesn't work anymore in order to animate the eyball. I did use a scupt deformer to push the sphere into a relatively pleasing position but it ruins the indent for the iris. I could model it around a sphere but then the integrity of the model is comprimised in an unpleasing way.

I like the functionality of the sculpt deformer because I don't have to do much with it. It still works and rotates like a sphere but you can use it as a cartoon shape.

Could I model the iris myself and set the sphere's verteces (where the iris would be) way back? (the vertices have to go around the sculpt deformer so the only way to make it go straight back is if I model the iris verts around the deformer)
Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanx!

Scott

tankut
08-18-2007, 02:59 PM
I wonder why you chose a sculpt deformer instead of a lattice deformer. Could you put up a snapshot?

Robken
08-18-2007, 03:57 PM
the easiest way to do this is to have spheres for eyeballs, parent them to a group or locator. now if you scale the locator up, you can still rotate the eyeball without it going "out of bounds". it'll rotate around the scale axis of the locator.

this way is the easiest, additionally you can create a lattice deformer for the eyeball and wrap deform that lattice deformer the head mesh of your character. That way, if the lids are raised or you deform the head, the eyeball will deform aswell.

spiralof5
08-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Wow, Thank you. I'm glad someone answered this for me :). To answer the question: I have switched from Max to Maya so I don't know the deformers yet that well. I see sculpt deformers being used for the eyes all the time so that's why I used it.

Thank you, I will do as you say. Sounds like a stellar idea.

Cheers!

Scott

spiralof5
08-22-2007, 09:35 PM
the easiest way to do this is to have spheres for eyeballs, parent them to a group or locator. now if you scale the locator up, you can still rotate the eyeball without it going "out of bounds". it'll rotate around the scale axis of the locator.

Really not sure what you mean. Sorry :( I parented the sphere to the locator and scaled it up. It's just working as another center axis axis for me. There is no deformation except when I scale the locator it scales my sphere.

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2007, 09:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.