PDA

View Full Version : Newtek Lightwave 3D updated to 9.3

dickma
08-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Press Release.

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-07-07a.html

Larry_g1s
08-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Very cool. NewTek is a great company & I appreciate the free upgrades. I didn't see when or where it can be downloaded.

fez
08-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Rendering and texturing in 9.3 is phenomenal. Newtek is a same-scene RenderPass manager (built in Surpasses) aways from greatness.

Buzzoff
08-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Newtek is a same-scene RenderPass manager (built in Surpasses) aways from greatness.

Interesting arrangement of words, is it supposed to mean anything?

Julez4001
08-08-2007, 10:51 PM
yeah, after the Newtek spill, there is nothing about Surpass in the upgrade.
Got me all happy...shucks! Yes i said Shucks!

fez
08-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Interesting arrangement of words, is it supposed to mean anything?

Maybe it means you are not a dedicated Lightwaver...

But just to humor you, it means that at this point Lightwave has neither a native nor a third party solution for creating lots of render passes within the same scene. The plugin Surpasses offered such functionality but is unfortunately no longer being developed.

Pixaloop
08-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Compared to other years, their booth attendance at SIGGRAPH appeared a little thin. Was that only my persepective?

stevecullum
08-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Compared to other years, their booth attendance at SIGGRAPH appeared a little thin. Was that only my persepective?

It wouldnt suprise me. I think Lightwave's popularity is on the wain as there are many areas that need updating - although the rendering enhancements are impressive and up there with other established rendering options.

Buzzoff
08-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Maybe it means you are not a dedicated Lightwaver...

Newtek is a same-scene RenderPass manager (built in Surpasses) aways from greatness.

Newtek is a company, not "a same-scene RenderPass manager". The "aways from greatness." is straight up Engrish.

ps. I'm joking. The "(built in Surpasses)" really killed the flow of the sentence.

fez
08-09-2007, 02:28 AM
You are at least a hundred IQ points away from being a genius.

erilaz
08-09-2007, 02:38 AM
Fez, Buzzoff, quit it.

fez
08-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Ha! Buzzoff, I hope you know I was also joking. My initial post was supposed to be short and succinct. Instead it turned out short and mystifying.

My apologies. Peace.

Szos
08-09-2007, 03:17 AM
Seems like if this was an AutoDesk product, it would be consided a full point release... with all the upgrade costs to go with it.

Good on NewTek for improving their product and not charging anything for it. :thumbs up:

fez
08-09-2007, 03:49 AM
Seems like if this was an AutoDesk product, it would be consided a full point release... with all the upgrade costs to go with it.

Absolutely.

Having said that, after seeing those unofficial Max 2008 demo videos, I am grudgingly upgrading my subscription.

9.3 is SO CLOSE. If Newtek can give us robust render pass management and blazingly fast subds by 9.5 I think Lightwave will be back in the game. Save the character enhancements for the next paid upgrade.

Qslugs
08-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Save the character enhancements for the next paid upgrade.

Ummm. how about no?

fez
08-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Character animation in Lightwave is presently SO weak relative to the competition that I fear the development required is way beyond the scope of a point release.

Robust render pass management is absolutely vital. I think Newtek needs to buckle down and finish the job before moving on to character animation. That way, even if the character tools are crummy and/or incomplete, at least we will have a full featured renderer to work with while we wait for 10.

Just my opinion.

Milivoj-Lemonade3D
08-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Newtek's for the people by the people attitude is so refresing and great! Tnx for the free upgrades! I agree that they should focus on rendering and such and then go on to the animation side!

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2007, 08:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.