PDA

View Full Version : Quadro FX 5500 no more than 2 mil polys?

njanim8tor
08-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Hey Guys, I recentlly purchased a new system from Boxx with a Quadro FX 5500 card, 4 gigs of RAM, Windows XP 64 and a dual 2.8. Once I subdivide a mesh up to about 2 million polys, Mudbox comes screeching to a halt. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

DrewShelton
09-01-2007, 06:26 PM
I dunno... Guessing that you have the change to purchase a rockin' machine
like that, why not go Zbrush for your sculpting (up to 10mil polys?)... Not too expensive...
Damn, I wish my CPU had the guts yours did...

~Drucifer

FreakWizz
09-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Listed in the manual are about 5 or 6 ways to increase the peformance in Mudbox..

Try optimizing the Nvidia drivers to give max speed.

After you do all that you will find you won't push much more than 3million comfortably in the viewport and be able to brush with a decent brush size.

Despite the 100's of millions of poly claims, i either run out of memory or it's too slow to use.
ZBrush3.x does indeed work with much higher polycounts without slowdown.
Now that Autodesk owns MB, it likely won't ever get anywhere near ZB.

Shame as i much prefer MB, but you will need to get used to optimizing the models and MB, and hide and remove many bits to get a decent level of interactivity.

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2007, 10:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.