PDA

View Full Version : Modeling hardsurface

konstantin12a
08-08-2007, 09:22 AM
what software has a good toolset for hardsurface like cars mobile phones etc.

polo84
11-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Maya,Max,Lightwave,XSI,Blender,Modo......it's up to you to model these objects. If you are looking for pre-modeled geometry, look for free models or Swift3D has those kind of objects built into the programs library.

phix314
11-12-2007, 03:05 AM
There's been some discussion on this topic, and so far it seems argueably in favor of some of the "smaller" programs such as Modo, XSI, Silo, etc. They seem to have better smoothing algorithms.

DarthDavis
11-21-2007, 09:37 AM
It depends on what exactly you will use the models for however. If you just want a pretty picture and have your head wrapped around polies then my favourite is Modo but max has some great tools that can keep your construction history with modifiers and stacks and lofts and splines and all.

however for REALLY good hard surface stuff you should use a NURBS package like Rhinoceros, Solidworks, Alias Studio, etc. Some are definitely more CAD like and can be pricey though. My current fav is Alias Studio, but I am just as happy with Rhino (and its Cheeeeeeaper).

If you use NURBS instead of meshes, you can even send your models to a rapid prototyper quite easily, and you can always export them to a more image-centric 3d package.

demoniorojo
11-28-2007, 11:00 AM
HI!,by far,the best (and amazing expensive) solid and surface modeler is CATIA...Im
a engineer,so I use at work,but its impossible to pay the price of this soft...
Power Nurbs,a Max plugin has a great solid modeling tools,and is cheaper than CATIA:)

designingpatrick
02-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Better smoothing algorithims? Is that actually true? There isn't much difference between most of these programs, hard surface modeling is pretty standardized. The biggest factor is going to be the user.

CGTalk Moderation
02-29-2008, 11:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.