PDA

View Full Version : How to rig a neck that can extend and retract?

CookieMon
08-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi. I'm trying to animate a neck for my robot character. I want it to be able to extend and retract and it has to have organic animation. The problem is bones and pathdeform wont work. Yes, they will make the neck move but I cant get it to extend or retract.

Any ideas?

alec.tron
08-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Little hint. Read up on how to set up a stretchy IK...and leave out the IK part... ;)
It can also be done by using the scaling as well in case you want to keep it simple and dont mind using scale on joints for animation...
c.

CookieMon
08-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks alec! I'll try to look it up

switchblade327
08-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Depends on how your neck is built and how stretchy it needs to be (are we talking about a telescope or a tentacle?), SplineIk is another option. I've used a setup like that to animate tentacles with FK claws at the end (cound just as easily be your robot's head) that could stretch quite some distance (forever if they needed to). The geometry was basically a rendered spline rendered by the game engine so it wasn't a concern in that case but there are options if your's needs to be a proper mesh.

CookieMon
08-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi switchblade. It functions like a tentacle that extend and retract. Uh, it's really hard to explain what I want, much less achieve it. I know the result I want but I dont know the means to go about doing it.

ghoest
08-12-2007, 06:37 PM
maya spline IK blows. I would use a series of parent constraints and then an aim constraint to aim the joint at the next in the heirarchy... fun fun

switchblade327
08-12-2007, 07:45 PM
maya spline IK blows. I would use a series of parent constraints and then an aim constraint to aim the joint at the next in the heirarchy... fun fun

Could be. I was referring to Max but since we don't even know what he's using... How would you animate the setup like you're describing?

Animatle
08-12-2007, 08:32 PM
In 3DS MAX anyways.,. u can use somehting called a hose..., just replace it with the neck... it will strech and contract... not sure if it would help u... but i just thought i would mention it ^^

ForzaInter
08-14-2007, 11:55 PM
Hi,

Don't know if this helps, but here (http://www.xsi-blog.com/archives/109)you can find a stretchy bones script for XSI. Hope it does!

Good luck :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-14-2007, 11:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.