PDA

View Full Version : What might be wrong? Massive render time...

the_shyguy
08-08-2007, 03:41 AM
hiya ppl...

i havent used vue before, but i have used 3ds max. someone from our company used vue 6 to render a simple model of a bottle for us... to render the bottle at a4 size at 300 dpi it takes him almost 24 hours to render with a dual core and 1-2 gig of ram...?? does that sound correct... i now have the file and was wondering if anyone might know where he might have gone wrong or overdid something for now visible differnece???

its just a simple plastic bottle, not see through, and is gold in color... i see he had some lighting set up... but wouldnt have thought that would be the issue... he seemed to think it was the sub surface scattering that was making it take so long... but i couldnt see any setting for this?? there is also a map in the background...

any help would be muchly appreciated... :)

unfortunately i cant post the file due to work related reasons...

Charm3d
08-08-2007, 10:43 PM
If you select the bottle and double click the material properties (thumbnail top right) the material editor appears. Select "advanced material editor". There should be a "Translucency" tab where you can set the subsurface scattering settings.

Reflections can be really render time consuming...

Did he use a preset or a user render setting?

My initial user settings are:
Switch of "use automatic scene hierarchie"
Switch of "Depth of field"
Switch on "Optimize last render pass", Unless you want a G-buffer or Multi-Pass output
Switch of the rest of the selections underneath "Optimize last render pass"
Advanced effects quality 46%
Only object aa, strategy "Sharp", Subrays Min. 6, Max 24, Quality Th 97%

Which light model did he use, and which quality?

the_shyguy
08-09-2007, 12:15 AM
i asked him the questions you asked and he responded:

i used a HDRI light map ( it was a preset ) light quality to ambient occlusion and render setting to superior.

does this mean anything to you?

ps. based on the size of the render does 24hrs sound very excessive?

Charm3d
08-09-2007, 09:46 AM
It depends on what else is in the image and what materials were used. 24 hours is pretty long for an image this size with only one bottle and, I guess, an alpha plane as background.
I suspect that the material used for the bottle contains reflections (metal). Combined with the "Superior" preset it can cause the long render time. What is used as ground material?

Here are a few settings you can tweak:
Soft lights take longer to render; turn down the quality in the light editor.
Do you need ambiance: If not, set the fog and haze amounts to zero in the atmosphere editor, and set the quality boost to -1
Also go to the light tab in the atmosphere editor and set the quality boost to -1.

I never use the preset render settings but use the ones I mentioned before as a starting point. The presets might work fine for big swooping panoramic landscapes, but if you have a prominent subject up close you want to see clear and sharp details.

Superior for instance uses Depth of field and motion blurring, I use the z-depth image with photoshop to create dof. Also with this preset "Optimize last render pass" is switched off, "Texture filtering" is on, and the aa settings are such that you will not get very sharp details. This all ads up to a lengthy render...

chippwalters
08-10-2007, 04:04 AM
Without knowing more about the size of the image (in pixels), ALL the render settings, the materials involved and the atmosphere, it's very difficult to diagnose. But, yes, there are times when a rendering might take 24 hours-- though typically there are shortcuts which can be used to reduce that time dramatically. The shortcuts depend upon the above mentioned criteria.

If you would like to provide a link to the file, I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.

-chipp

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2007, 04:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.