PDA

View Full Version : Eggington rig vrs Raf rig in 10.5

Wegg
03-28-2003, 05:26 PM
This post is for koon69

He asked this question under the tips sticky topic and I. . . don't quite currently know how to split threads out. I really want the tips section to ONLY be tips but I don't want to tick everyone off.

His question was something like. . . Is the Eggington Rig still worth looking at in 10.5 when you have the Anzovin options.

I honestly really doubt the Eggington Rig even works in 10.5. None of us here have tried it. On the other hand Raf has been very supportive of his rig and has made every effort to keep it current with all the latest flavors of AM.

Don't look at Eggington's rig as a solution you can count on. It might work. . . it might not. With AM. . . you just never know. If you need a solution that is supported by a very tallented animator. . . go with Rafs.

koon69
03-28-2003, 06:27 PM
Actually I wanted to know if we had to alter the Eggington rig to use with 10.5 and 10.5 changes! :> I like both rigs but wanted to know what tweaking we would need to do make your rig rock with 10.5. I like your rig because itas easy to jump in and learn it. Anyway you might update it? Please! Hint! :>

Wegg
03-28-2003, 06:32 PM
I'd lay money on the fact that there are a lot more people here that would know how to re-work that old rig better than I could.

I have been given a reviewers copy of 10.5 but I haven't had time yet to even install it.

Sorry. :-(

koon69
03-28-2003, 07:02 PM
No problem Billy. Anyway we can "convince" some of the more seasned AM'ers to re-work the rig?
I think AM can be the most ass kickin app out there. Why? AM has people developing 3rd party work that makes AM that much better!

zandoria
03-28-2003, 07:57 PM
Isn't the 2001 rig, an Eggington rig?

If so, that is the one that the newer models on the current CD are rigged with, and it has been updated for V10+

I haven't looked at it detail, maybe someone else can confirm:shrug:

Wegg
03-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Wow thats cool. Guess our hard work has yet to be matched. ;-)

dagooos
03-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Does it not seem strange that there hasn't been a new official rig since the 2001 rig? In the spirit of sharing actions I thought it was a good idea to have a common rig that Hash wants everyone to use. but since the TSM I guess they stopped doing this.which I dont think is right because not everyone has TSM. I dont know why Hash doesnt just buy the rights to TSM so everyone could use it. Martin Hash said himself if you have a good product for A:M I will buy it from you so everyone can have it. It seems like they could work out some deal on the support of it with the studiio who makes it. I dont know just a thought.

Wegg
03-29-2003, 06:55 PM
You know you don't really need "TSM" Rigging is one of AM's strongest assets. I even did a video tutorial on it on eggprops that walks you through the most complicated steps. I think its better if Hash doesn't have an "auto" rigging feature built in. It allows for more creativity and power as users learn the subtleties of the very VERY powerful bone/constraint system built right in.

sketchyjay
03-30-2003, 09:28 AM
Those videos are great. I did a character using it and it promply died entering version 9.5 and 10 was no better. I gave up on it after that so I never redid the rig. It IS easy to build and you can definately recreate the rig if you get the videos from wegg (ie eggprops).

The two biggest things I noticed about both rigs ( I've used both)

both are great for doing animation. here are what I found useful in both;

Eggington Rig;
It's a great rig. fast and easy to setup. Yeah it is not automatic but if you get the two videos you're paying half the money of the setup machine and you learn to rig almost any lifeform you can come up with.

The one issue I had, that didn't stop anyone else, was the foot was controled at the ankle which made it hard for me to do walk cycles. But that might be lack of experience on my part since many others animated walks, runs and so on without any problem.

Setup machine Rig;
wow is this a complex rig. Sometimes I think it was too complex. I got the videos from anzovin and still am amazed at what he did. It was too hard to do that much rigging in the end so I never did build his rig. That's Probably why he made the setup machine.

With the setup machine after scaling and tweeking his bone setup into your model you have a completely working rig in about and hour of work. Now That complexity results in a rig that is easy to animate and has a few extra touchs such as locking off head movement or the hands. You could move the hips independently of the waist and a host of other things as well.

My only complaint with his setup is that he uses only bones and a few well placed nulls would have made life so much easier. If you ever try to select a bone and move it you know what I mean. You have to hit the pivot point of the bone before it lets you move it (or you have to keep hitting N to move it) I went back into his rigs when TSM was done and constrained the control bones to a bunch of nulls.

Which is better RIG? I'd hate to say this in Wegg's topic but TSM is more complete. You could add all those features to the eggington rig with a minimum of fuss and the best part is that once you have watched the eggington videos you'll know how to get some of those same features. careful observation will tell you the rest.

Which is better to ANIMATE WITH? Hmmm... hard to say. despite the hip swing and locking head and hands and auto center of gravity the TSM rig is equal to the wegg rig in my book. the foot controls and hips make walking easier to deal with for me but in normal animation tasks you'll find you can get the job done equally well with either one. BUT if you get the videos you'll know why....

Wow I can swear I've written that line before. I'm a big believer in knowing how to do things and not letting other people do it for me.

When I did my short for the 10 second club some of the tools that are in the TSM rig I added on the fly to my wegg rig. You don't need to have them as part of the rig. It may be easier in the long run I guess but with the ease of adding contraints in A:M it is not something you really need to worry about.

that's all I can think of about those rigs. hope that helps everyone.

Jay

JBarrett
03-31-2003, 05:50 PM
If the Eggington rig is the one that was used in all those free characters that Wegg put out some time ago (which I'm still using, not being the best character modeler), then it works just fine in 10.5. I just finished a clip using the Shaggy character that I animated in v10 and rendered in 10.5 (better mo-blur) without any problems. I've added a bunch of additional things here and there to meet my own rigging needs/desires, but the core rig from the original download hasn't been changed.

FWIW...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.