PDA

View Full Version : HELP ME.. Build a system please

Infinity3d4life
03-28-2003, 03:52 PM
Hey people..
I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to figure out just what i need to get to build my new system... I want something that i can use to do my 3d work, and Video projects also...

Here are my system specs right now.
- Pentium 3 650
-385 megs ram
-32 meg Nvidia card
-10 gig hard drive

The programs that i will be running on the new system are
-Lightwave 7.5
-Adobe After Effects
-Adobe Premiere
-Adobe Photoshop

Heres what i do know
- A 10 gig hard drive just isn't gonna cut it for video storage
- A P3 650 is not the fastest thing for rendering 3d scenes without waiting a week for the results..

any and all suggestions would be helpful.. I would like to know suggestions on what type of motherboard to look into.. What type of processor would be good..

And also should i just upgrade my older system to handle just the video aspects. And build the new one to suit my needs as far as 3d modeling, rendering, and animation are concerned... As you can see i'm pretty much confused on this whole subject..

-

danhua76
03-28-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Infinity3d4life
Hey people..
I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to figure out just what i need to get to build my new system... I want something that i can use to do my 3d work, and Video projects also...

Here are my system specs right now.
- Pentium 3 650
-385 megs ram
-32 meg Nvidia card
-10 gig hard drive

The programs that i will be running on the new system are
-Lightwave 7.5
-Adobe After Effects
-Adobe Premiere
-Adobe Photoshop

Heres what i do know
- A 10 gig hard drive just isn't gonna cut it for video storage
- A P3 650 is not the fastest thing for rendering 3d scenes without waiting a week for the results..

any and all suggestions would be helpful.. I would like to know suggestions on what type of motherboard to look into.. What type of processor would be good..

And also should i just upgrade my older system to handle just the video aspects. And build the new one to suit my needs as far as 3d modeling, rendering, and animation are concerned... As you can see i'm pretty much confused on this whole subject..

-

first of all, how much money do you have set aside for a new system?

in anycase here's what you should look for:

1. amd xp2400 cpu and up (depends on what you can afford)
2. an asus mobo with the nforce2 chipset.
3. 1gb of pc2700 or pc3200 ram (also depends on what you can afford).
4. a good 500watt power supply.
5. a good heat sink fan for your cpu (thermaltake or vantec is good)
6. a 120gb western digital special edition hard drive with 8mb buffer or the maxtor diamondmax 120gb drive with 8mb buffer.
7. for now a 128mb geforce4 ti4200 8x agp card (you can softmod it to a quadro) or wait a couple of months to see what nvdia is releasing.
8. a good aluminum case with lots of space for fans to keep the system cool.
9. a cdrw drive if not a dvd-rw drive for backup and what not.

there's tons of threads here in this forum that addresses what you're looking for. go check them out. good luck!

Infinity3d4life
03-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Hey thanks for the info.. I'm gonna put about 2grand or more into the new one... I was just curious as to what name brands to look into and that sort of thing.. I went out and bought a magazine and became super confused after seeing all the advertisements for this and that... Anyways thanks again

GregHess
03-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Infinity,

Could you give us a working Budget? Where are you located? (States?)

Infinity3d4life
03-28-2003, 06:43 PM
i'm working right now with 2 thousand.. I live in Clarksburg, WV...

GregHess
03-28-2003, 07:03 PM
Alright. Are you just buying the box of the machine? Or are you getting a new mouse, keyboard, monitor, speakers, etc?

Since you specifically mentioned lightwave, I'd push towards an Intel purchase over an AMD one, as the Intel chips seem to perform better in Lw 7.5 overall when compared against a similar priced amd system.

When is your purchase date? There is a lot of new tech coming out soon both Intel and AMD. Although you might not buy into some of the newer offerings coming out, you would benefit costwise by waiting for the dates to pass.

AMD releases their Opteron Chips on April 22nd.

Intel has a 30% Price cut on a variety of their processors, plus the springdale, 3.2 P4, and 800 FSB chips on May 20th.

This of course would make June a great time to buy.

Infinity3d4life
03-28-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks for that info.. I might just upgrade my current pc with a new Hard drive, and Video card, then wait and see how the pirces come down before i buy.. I'm really in no hurry at all to get the new system plus i can add more cash toward my purchase at a later date...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.