PDA

View Full Version : Particle Morphing

entrancea
08-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Hi People,

I have been following Allan Mckay's tutorial on how to morph one target to another using Particles......But I have run into a problem!It seems that the process works on objects which are static and not on objetcs which are moving......How can I do this ie,how can I morph one animated target onto the another which is also animated?

Regards,
Subhro

grury
08-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Sure you can, just have to tick the Follow Target Animation on the Find Target op.

If you want a smother transition, I would recomend using the Lock/Bond operator from the ToolBox #1, from Orbaz.

entrancea
08-08-2007, 02:47 AM
Hey,thanks a lot man.....alright I'll try it out.

entrancea
08-08-2007, 06:28 AM
Hey,

I tried it out but the follow target animation doesn't seem to be working.Also If you have seen the video tutorial on Allan Mckay's website then you would see that he used a script.Now I don't know.but somehow do you think that changing a few parameters on that script might solve anything?I mean I am getting rather crazy like this guy here--->:bounce:

Thanks,
Subhro

grury
08-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Dunno about the script..
I've done several projects using animated meshes, and I defenetly recomend the Lock/Bond Op. Otherwise if you want the particles to stick to the second mesh you'll have to add a Position Object (with Animated Shape ticked) after the Find Target, the problem with this, is that when the Position Object kicks in, the particles jump to a random position on the target mesh, rather than a smooth transition.

grury
08-08-2007, 07:54 AM
ps: you may also want to use an ease in on the find target, so the transition goes a bit smoother.

entrancea
08-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Alright,

But one more thing I would like to say is that my shape is animated to move from one place to another and using lock bond makes the particles flicker....and yeah I tried position object and its seems that instead of a smooth transition its randomly gets stuck to any part of the target...But overall....I want this to be like a car going through a force field at a constant speed and then as it goes through the force field,it will morph into another car by dematerialising and will appear a few feet away from where it originally was at the same time maintaining its original speed.....I am trying all the tips and tricks to get this thing done....and I want all the particles to stick to the surface.

grury
08-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Alright,

But one more thing I would like to say is that my shape is animated to move from one place to another and using lock bond makes the particles flicker....

Flicker?..Shouldnt.
Did you use Lock to Surface, Animated Shape?

entrancea
08-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Yeah I did,I checked lock to surface and checked animated surface and snap to surface....But I don'e know why but it seems that the particles flicker off some random places as if they instantly fly off and then again come back to the same spot...its a matter of 2 or 3 frames...Is it natural that it will behave this way?

But I tried out another way and it seems to be almost working now....what I did was I wrote the script I saw on Allan Mckay's tutorial and told the particles to go the event where the would pass the force field and then float in the wind with a wind force and then after a certain while I wanted them to find target the target object and for this I had to animate the find target icon and then told the particles to stop at the target object by setting speed to 0 and assining a position object and adding my target object and now it seems to work.....I didn't have to use the lock bond.....

entrancea
08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Please check the following link for the animation.....Thanks,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiCT22pkKIw

Regards,
Subhro

grury
08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey, not bad. The first blast is pretty cool, altho the way the particles fill up the nxt car is a bit hard to see. maybe they need to ease in, as they aproach, right now they just seem to apear all of the sudden on the 2nd car.

darrennorthcott
08-08-2007, 05:08 PM
I had a similar problem with lock/bond. i had particles using a position object on a biped with mocap, and then ran a deflector over the biped to change the color of the particles, but as soon as i did that, they stopped being attached to the biped and were thrown off witht the bipeds movement, so i added a lock/bond to the branched event(triggered by the deflector) but the particles wouldn't stay locked to the biped, even with snap to surface, animated shape checked. i added a speed by surface set to 0, but then they just stayed in one spot while the biped moved away. suggestions?

cheers.

D

OlegB
08-09-2007, 01:15 AM
suggestions?
You need to get the latest update for Box#1 - follow this link http://www.orbaz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1201

Thanks,
Oleg B.

entrancea
08-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Well I would suggest that ypu should try to use the speed operator instead of speed by surface and also assign a position object operator below the speed operator and tick the lock to object on the position object operator.Also at the begining try to write a script saying that I want to specify the positions for n number of particles for my target object.....that is if you want the biped to morph from one shape to another....Here see the picture below....

http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=carmorphhb0.jpg

and regarding the script if you want it I'll send it to you....please give me your mail-id for that....all you have to do is open the script operator and paste it there...

Regards,
Subhro:)

entrancea
08-09-2007, 05:58 AM
Hey thanks Grury,:thumbsup:

I'll try those and see what I get.....I'll keep u guys updated....

Chaow,
Subhro

entrancea
08-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Alright,

This is the second version of the morph...The particles now ease in and they bounce less...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB5B0_NFwVU

Regards,
Subhro

entrancea
08-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Alright,

This is the modified version with the easing in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB5B0_NFwVU

grury
08-09-2007, 08:20 AM
defenetly better. Just one more suggestion..I would use a Drag space warp, to help slow down the particles as they leave the fist car, they shoot off so fast that almost disapear off screen.

PsychoSilence
08-09-2007, 09:58 AM
without reading the entier thread i assume both cars are startic and the env moves instead...

might work out :) but i bet there´s a script/box#3 solution that records vertex positions per frame/sub-frame

kind regards,
anselm

entrancea
08-09-2007, 03:02 PM
without reading the entier thread i assume both cars are startic and the env moves instead...

No man,

Both the Cars are Moving and not the Enviornment......Plus what I would try to do to extend my testing on this is that I would try to morph my second car into a third car....But ur right about the fact that there is a script involved......You know first I tried with static objects and they morphed fine but then when I tried to move them the morphing went through the roof.....then I started playing around with it and saw that I could achieve my target by using Postion Object and speed....I set the speed to 0 and added the final target to the position target and thats it.....

Regards,
Subhro

entrancea
08-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey Grury,

Thanks man.....I'll try it out and update the video...

Chaow,
Subhro

PsychoSilence
08-10-2007, 11:05 AM
did u use the script from allan´s AtoB tutorial?

kind regards,
anselm

entrancea
08-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah I did....that script was really helpful...

and here's an updated version of the car morph with a bit of change in effects...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhJUK6f0pYk

Regards,
Subhro

PsychoSilence
08-10-2007, 01:51 PM
so how did u modify hte script to work on moving objects? maybe post ur particle view :)

kind regards,
anselm

entrancea
08-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I'll post it tomorrow morning as I am somewhere else at the moment...But I just jotted down what Allan had...though like I said...I played with the parameters of all the operators and tests and added a postion object which was not there in Allan's tutorial,beacuse I think he was only showing how to morph static obects...But I'll post the PView tomorrow.....c'ya guys later......

Regards,
Subhro

entrancea
08-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Dude,the PView....

http://img384.imageshack.us/my.php?image=carmorphpy5.jpg

Regards,
Subhro

PsychoSilence
08-11-2007, 12:41 PM
nice, dude!

ill have a look when im back home.

anselm

entrancea
08-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Allright...

Do keep me updated and tell if you think of any changes....an updated version of the thing...not fully rendered though...Just for a test.....Seems that VRay shows less no. of particles while rendering.... :hmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA6DCW_YFSY

Regards,
Subhro

PsychoSilence
08-16-2007, 01:05 AM
the tough thing with find target on animated object is not to let the particles place randomly on the new position object. so if the first car is driving behind the second the particles should start repositioning at the trunk and back parts of the other car to look realistik. i bet there´s a script/box#3 solution for that.

entrancea
08-16-2007, 03:22 AM
Yeah,ur right......could you tell me as to from where I could get some idea about Box#3's components and their uses,like some tutorial maybe?

Regards,
Subhro

Nicool
08-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Good effect... note you should absolutely use EASE as particle are forming into teh car shape, the effect is a way to straight for now.

Cheers man !

entrancea
08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Hey Thanks Man,

Yeah I am updating this version of mine right now and am thinking about what PsychoSilence said regarding the fact that the particles create the second car from behind and slowly move towards the front......that would look cool...I am easing the particles right now.....lets see where I get at.....I have to work on a game cinematics right now and so am a bit busy with that but as soon as it is done I'll divert my concentration to the Car Morph again.....I'll keep u guys updated.....

Thanks again,
Regards,
Subhro

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.