PDA

View Full Version : Q: mirroring weights of influence objects

LXStalker
03-28-2003, 02:43 PM
hey all! I really like the mirror weights function of Maya. and it works fine with skeletons, but it does not mirror the weights of my influence objects correctly - in other words: the weights of the influence objects are mirrored correctly along the specified axis but then they are attached to the original influence object and not to the one on the other side of the axis. (the influence objects are part of the skeleton hierarchy)

any idea what iīm doing wrong ? shouldnīt it work as easy as it does with skeletons ? :shrug:

thnx in advance!

LXStalker
03-30-2003, 11:40 AM
no one any idea ?

or is it just not possible ? if itīs not possible i continue doing the weights by hand.. but i canīt believe thatīthere is no way to do this.... ;)

anthonymcgrath
04-02-2003, 02:13 PM
I had a similar problem a while back when I was using influence objects to create triceps and bi's in an arm.
My solution after enquiring on here funnily enough was to duplicate the mesh/arm joints/influence objects with all the history on them (not input connections but the other option! forgot what its called!!). I then slapped all this under a group node, scaled that to -1 so it effectively flipped it to the other side, then parented that to the same point the other arm was parented into.

sorry its a bit vague here, but there is another post up somewhere that elaborates on it significantly. have a search through for it mate!

cheers

ant
newc.

LXStalker
04-03-2003, 12:04 AM
thnx a lot! iīll try it! :beer:

anthonymcgrath
04-03-2003, 09:09 AM
mirroring joints (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31417)

give this url a quick snout over too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.