PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk to aquire Mudbox?!

RKanyama
08-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Autodesk today announce that they are in the process of aquiring Skymatter.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=9931455&siteID=123112

Wow, they will soon own everything.

TheRazorsEdge
08-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Damn, there goes another one. Just like Starbucks they seem to be out to gain control over the world. Soon there'll be an Autodesk sign on every corner of the CG-world. Muahahaha!

Seriously, I sure hope this doesnt mean another great app will loose its innovative potential or eventually even be swallowed into a bigger app. Now that would be a real shame.

andyburm
08-09-2007, 04:35 PM
that monster just keep getting fatter and fatter...

fretshredder
08-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Too bad too ... MudBox was an excellent app ... RIP

pd
08-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Well it still is and 2.0 will be even better. I don't know what all those whining is about. Skymatter has been bought by a bigger company. So what? This could mean good things as well: more cash, more developers, more resources, probably even better support... Only the futere will tell. It's way too early to cross Mudbox from the list.

Buzzoff
08-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Well it still is and 2.0 will be even better. I don't know what all those whining is about. Skymatter has been bought by a bigger company. So what?

The "whining" is just as valid as your possible "cluelessness". What makes you SO sure that it will only be a good thing? There are many products that get killed off after a take-over. Mudbox will likely go on but you are promissing it will.

cresshead
08-09-2007, 07:08 PM
i just read that post and there was no ''promise'' in it at all....it had ''could be''...''too early to tell''...etc...

pd
08-09-2007, 07:29 PM
No, you are all wrong and I'm the only one who knows what happens!

Did you actually take the time and read the press papers Buzzy? I guess not, since you didn't even read my post.

TheRazorsEdge
08-09-2007, 07:45 PM
pd:

Who is whining?

And the Autodesk press release is an oracle into the future? Since when do big companies care about anything but money and what makes you think Autodesk in any different?

We are merely keeping our fingers crossed that a great app wont get hurt or even killed by such a merger. It wouldn't be the first.

pd
08-09-2007, 08:00 PM
As mentioned by cresshead, I didn't predict anything. I was just wondering why everyone is in such a bad mood about the deal and wanted to be more optimistic. 2.0 is coming soon and I, for one am looking forward to this.

IGhosTDoGI
08-09-2007, 10:08 PM
i guess some guys here watched too much "wallstreet".

John-S
08-11-2007, 05:46 AM
Was 2.0 mentioned at sigg? I got an email a long time ago kind of mentioning it (I think I posted about it here actually) but never heard anything since.

I think that was the thing I've been most curious about for the event...

mustan9
08-16-2007, 11:49 PM
I don't think Mudbox is even 2 years old yet, and they already sold to the largest company. Usually when start ups get into business they dream of getting offers from someone like Autodesk, but any professional developer would wait until their customer base, and product were stable.

I can only conclude that Skymatter was in a state of disorganization, and sold it to get out before they lost control.

Now Autodesk will invest in the product, grow it's customer base and resell the company for a large profit. It's like "flipping real estate" except your flipping a technology company.

We'll see what happens over the next couple of years. At least this is good news for MudBox users! Here come the new features! :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2007, 11:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.